• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Parippu Vada

frankj

• 4 weeks later...

They are served with sambar and chutney (usually coconut) sometimes. Sambar is this wonderful vegetable Indian soup made with dal and a variety of veggies, ranging from eggplant to drumsticks (the vegetable).

Vada are great. :wub:

I hope that answers your question.

Can someone elaborate on what these are?

I believe that vada are made out of lentils or, rice. In any case, they looked like fried donuts, except they are nutritious and delicious. They are a part of the Southern Indian menu.

• 1 year later...

I'm bringing this back up hoping for a recipe for these addictive fritters. So please if you have a good recipe post or PM it. I am totally hooked on them the way a local Indian restaurant makes them here in Houston, a bit crunchy on the outside and fluffy inside. They are great with some Sambar, ginger chutney or tamrind chutney.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Here's a Tamilian version...enjoy. Ammini, great to meet you. Hope to chat soon. Great website by the way.

Pigeon Pea Fritters

Aamai Vadaas

About 18 fritters (6 servings)

1 cup dried split and hulled pigeon peas (toovar dal) or yellow split peas (chana dal), sorted and rinsed

1 tablespoon dried yellow split peas (chana dal), sorted and rinsed

3 cups warm water

2 or 3 dried red Thai, serrano or cayenne chilies

2 or 3 fresh Thai, serrano or cayenne chilies

1 tablespoon coarsely chopped gingerroot

10 to 12 fresh karhi leaves, coarsely chopped (2 tablespoons), or 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon asafetida (hing) or garlic powder

Vegetable oil for deep-frying

1. Place pigeon peas, yellow split peas, water and dried and fresh chilies in medium bowl. Soak at room temperature at least 2 hours or overnight.

2. Drain peas and chilies. Place peas, chilies and gingerroot in food processor. Cover and process until smooth. Place pea mixture in medium bowl; stir in karhi leaves, salt and asafetida.

3. Heat oil (2 to 3 inches deep) in wok or 5-quart saucepan over medium-high heat until thermometer inserted in oil reads 350º.

4. Shape batter into 1/2-inch-thick patties. Gently drop into hot oil and fry 3 to 5 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden brown. Remove with slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.

5. Serve fritters by themselves or with Yogurt with Stewed Tomatoes (page 00).

3 Fritters: Calories 175 (Calories from Fat 125); Fat 14g (Saturated 2g); Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 410mg; Carbohydrate 12g (Dietary Fiber 4g); Protein 4g

%Daily Value: Vitamin A 44%; Vitamin C 24%; Calcium 0%; Iron 6%

Diet Exchanges: 3 Vegetable, 2 Fat

Yogurt with Stewed Tomatoes

Pachadi

8 servings .

1 cup plain yogurt

1/4 cup water

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 teaspoon black or yellow mustard seed

1/8 teaspoon asafetida (hing)

1 medium tomato, finely chopped (3/4 cup)

1 or 2 fresh Thai, serrano or cayenne chilies, finely chopped

1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro

1/2 teaspoon salt

1. Beat yogurt and water in medium bowl, using wire whisk, until well blended; set aside.

2. Heat oil in 6-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add mustard seed. Once seed begins to pop, cover skillet and wait until popping stops.

3. Add remaining ingredients. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tomato is softened.

4. Fold tomato mixture into yogurt. Serve immediately or chill. Cover and refrigerate any remaining yogurt mixture up to 2 days.

1/4 Cup : Calories 40 (Calories from Fat 20); Fat 2g (Saturated 1g); Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 170mg; Carbohydrate 3g (Dietary Fiber 0g); Protein 2g

%Daily Value: Vitamin A 2%; Vitamin C 2%; Calcium 6%; Iron 0%

Diet Exchanges: 1/2 Vegetable, 1/2 Fat

Raghavan Iyer, CCP

Winner of 2004 IACP Award of Excellence (formerly Julia Child Awards): Cooking Teacher of the Year

2003 James Beard Awards Finalist for Best International Cookbook - The Turmeric Trail: Recipes and Memories from an Indian Childhood (St. Martin’s Press, 2002) -

Betty Crocker’s Indian Home Cooking (Wiley, 2001)

i5099.jpg

How interesting!

Here are some parippu vada I made a few months ago. This was my first attempt after having them at one of the local mom and pop shops.

I'll look at home and see if I kept records of the recipe.

I think its time to try them again!

Thanks for the pics nessa. hmmm...shouldn't they have a hole in them? All the ones Ive seen look like a donut. Or is that purely aesthetic?

How do you make the hole anyways? just poke it or is there a proper Vada-making method?

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

shouldn't they have a hole in them? All the ones Ive seen look like a donut.

Actually the ones with the hole that look like donuts are made from a different lentil altogether. Is that the recipe you are looking for? If so, here it is:

(Adapted from Betty Crocker's Indian Home Cooking, Wiley 2001)

“Doughnut” Fritters

Medu Vadaas

About 8 fritters (4 servings)

• Homes in southeastern India pay tribute to Hanuman (the monkey god) by stringing a garland made of these fritters, with the assistance of eager children. The fritters are shaped in the form of doughnuts, making them easier to string. These vadaas are also a staple in South Indian restaurants, often served with Pigeon Pea Stew, a savory stew of vegetables, lentils and chilies.

• The earthy, sourdough-like flavor of split and hulled black lentils are crucial to this recipe’s success, so substituting another lentil will not give you the same results.

1 cup dried split and hulled black lentils (urad dal), sorted, rinsed and drained

3 cups warm water

3 or 4 fresh Thai, serrano or cayenne chilies

1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns

1 tablespoon chopped gingerroot

1 teaspoon salt

10 to 12 fresh karhi leaves, coarsely chopped (2 tablespoons) or 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Vegetable oil for deep-frying

1. Place lentils, water and chilies in medium bowl. Soak at room temperature at least 2 hours or overnight.

2. Drain lentils and chilies. Place lentils, chilies, peppercorns and gingerroot in food processor. Cover and process until smooth. Place lentil mixture in medium bowl; beat with spoon 3 to 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Stir in salt and karhi leaves.

3. Heat oil (2 to 3 inches deep) in wok or deep 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until thermometer inserted in oil reads 350º.

4. Grease palms of hands with oil. Shape lentil mixture into 1/2-inch-thick patties. With finger, poke a hole through the center of patties, making a doughnut-like shape. Gently drop into hot oil and fry 3 to 5 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden brown. Remove with slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.

5. Serve fritters by themselves or with Coconut-Cilantro Chutney.

6. Leftover batter can be tightly covered and refrigerated up to 2 days. Freezing is not recommended because it increases the batter’s water content when thawed, making it very difficult to handle.

2 Medu Vadaas: Calories 250 (Calories from Fat 125); Fat 14g (Saturated 2g); Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 590mg; Carbohydrate 29g (Dietary Fiber 11g); Protein 12g

%Daily Value: Vitamin A 22%; Vitamin C 38%; Calcium 2%; Iron 26%

Diet Exchanges: 2 Starch, 1 Very Lean Meat, 1 1/2 Fat

Raghavan Iyer, CCP

Winner of 2004 IACP Award of Excellence (formerly Julia Child Awards): Cooking Teacher of the Year

2003 James Beard Awards Finalist for Best International Cookbook - The Turmeric Trail: Recipes and Memories from an Indian Childhood (St. Martin’s Press, 2002) -

Betty Crocker’s Indian Home Cooking (Wiley, 2001)

Yeah the ones I was looking for were the ones that looked like donuts, at the restaurant or a buffet line they are usually simply labled "Vada". It goes to show you how illeterate I still am in Indian cuisine. I found this thread by searching for Vada and thought they were the same item. Sorry for the confusion and it's good to know that they are called Medu vadaas.

Thanks again,

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog