• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hello all

cwfenn

Hello,

I'm Craig, a home cook and ice cream maker.  I'm a biology teacher by trade.  I'm here because I've become much more interested in cooking over the last few months, mainly due to my wife sharing new recipes and ideas.  

While I'm good with a recipe, simply knowing something works isn't enough anymore.  How does it explain why the first 4 batches of ice cream turned out great but the fifth was lousy even though it looked the same?  I hope to learn more new things and improve upon what I already know.

Craig 

• Like 4

Welcome to eGullet, Craig. (A good name by the way - it was my father's as well.)

Other than ice cream, what are your favorite kinds of foods to prepare? I look forward to seeing your questions - and I am sure I will learn something from you as well. :)

• Like 1

On May 25, 2016 at 10:13 PM, Deryn said:

Welcome to eGullet, Craig. (A good name by the way - it was my father's as well.)

Other than ice cream, what are your favorite kinds of foods to prepare? I look forward to seeing your questions - and I am sure I will learn something from you as well. :)

Deryn,

I generally like cooking pastas, poultry, and fish, and would probably suffer greatly without cheese.    Like experimenting with different spices as well.  I was a very fussy eater growing up and cooking has helped me in trying new things, but I never developed any taste for pork, beef and other red meats.  I've enjoyed trying new recipes and gadgets with my wife's encouragement (love the veggie spiralizer we have).  

Hoping to learn more and go beyond the recipe.

Craig

• Like 2