• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Elisir Novasalus Vino Amaro

My cocktail invention partner brought a date to our latest Chemistry Experiment Sunday Afternoon, and not wanting to show up empty-handed he brought me a bottle of this....wildly potent bitter amaro.  I tried subbing it for fernet branca in a D&C "Frisco Club" but it just completely overwhelmed the whole drink.  I thought I enjoyed bitterness, but this is something else.  Any suggestions on possible ways to tame it?  I'm thinking a whip and a chair, perhaps?

3 hours ago, EvergreenDan said:

I too have had trouble with it. It's not so much the bitterness but the flavor. I've used it in small amounts to add a little bitterness and depth. I'm interested to see if anyone has a recipe that uses it in larger amounts.

With that resounding recommendation, I'm sure I'll run out and buy a bottle. O.o

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Sometimes the way to go with these things is to use it as a base split with another rough and tumble base, like a very smoky mezcal, or flavorful overproof rum like Smith and Cross or Wray and Nephew. Diving head-first into the intensity can possibly have better results than using a 1/4 oz as a modifier, for example. I've never tried this particular amaro so it's very possible I'm offering horrible advice. :)

I tried something like this awhile back with Fernet, which from the sound of it is much tamer than the Novasalus, but it worked well, the template might work with any intense amaro.

http://www.kindredcocktails.com/cocktail/the-count-of-kingston

A few drops of saline solution could help too.

48 minutes ago, sbumgarner said:

Sometimes the way to go with these things is to use it as a base split with another rough and tumble base, like a very smoky mezcal, or flavorful overproof rum like Smith and Cross or Wray and Nephew. Diving head-first into the intensity can possibly have better results than using a 1/4 oz as a modifier, for example. I've never tried this particular amaro so it's very possible I'm offering horrible advice. :)

I tried something like this awhile back with Fernet, which from the sound of it is much tamer than the Novasalus, but it worked well, the template might work with any intense amaro.

http://www.kindredcocktails.com/cocktail/the-count-of-kingston

A few drops of saline solution could help too.

Thanks for the advice -- I'll screw up my courage and give it a try :)