• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Owner Convicted of Manslaughter

liuzhou

A  UK restaurant owner has been convicted of manslaughter after a customer died from a severe anaphylactic shock after being served a curry containing peanuts. The customer had made the restaurant aware that he was allergic to peanuts.

Guardian link

He will be sentenced later today, but has been told he faces imprisonment.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

If someone tells me they are allergic to something and I serve them some form of that something anyway, with said someone having no way of knowing that's what I did, and the person becomes ill or dies as a result of my ignoring the information I was given, I deserve whatever punishment I receive. Yes, the word "allergy" is over and incorrectly used on a regular basis by people wanting to make sure something they don't like doesn't end up on their plate but I have no way of knowing when that's what's happening so the safe route is to take all allergy warnings seriously.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Sad, very sad!

For fear of negligence or innocent error, I sure as heck wouldn't trust my life to someone else if I knew I had a life threatening allergy!

• Like 6

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

1 hour ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Sad, very sad!

For fear of negligence or innocent error, I sure as heck wouldn't trust my life to someone else if I knew I had a life threatening allergy!

Same thought occurred to me. 

After reading the story, the restaurant owner knew what he was doing (swapping out the almond flour for ground nuts) and deserves the sentence.  I have to wonder though, had the man eaten there before?  agreed, very sad.  how heartbreaking for the man's family.

I'm confused - The Guardian says the fatal dish was chicken tikka masala, but aside from one mention of peanut oil for sauteing, none of the first several recipes that came up in my search for chicken tikka masala call for nuts of any sort.  No almonds, no peanuts, no cashews, just yogurt, tomato, spices and cream, so what the hell?  Am I finding only American versions and the British version uses nuts? Either the Guardian got the dish wrong, or this guy was really phenomenally cavalier about putting peanuts where they don't belong. 

Does anybody know what Indian curries should include almonds?  I think I've seen nuts in rice dishes and sweets, but curry or other savory dishes?

Edited by pastrygirl
almonds (log)

29 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Are we talking about ground nuts (such as peanuts) or ground nuts as in nuts that have been ground up?

I think here we are talking about nuts that have been ground. The term "ground nuts" as in peanuts isn't really used in the UK.

Certainly many curries include ground nuts, particularly almonds.

As is pointed out on Wikipedia:

there is no standard recipe for chicken tikka masala; a survey found that of 48 different recipes, the only common ingredient was chicken.

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 4 weeks later...

Huh?   I don't think you read the whole story.  

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Lisi said:

Oh wow... All it takes to mess up your life is to lose your focus for just a second. Sad story

As Anna pointed out, no one lost their "focus for just a second." The restaurant owner deliberately swapped out almond powder for a groundnut mix, then knowingly served it to a severely allergic customer. The customer had made his allergy very clear to the restaurant. *And* this wasn't the first occurrence. 

As a side note, my students' not carefully reading the entire article/instructions/syllabus/etc. was a major pet peeve, and concern, of mine.

• Like 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Just now, Alex said:

As Anna pointed out, no one lost their "focus for just a second." The restaurant owner deliberately swapped out almond powder for a groundnut mix, then knowingly served it to a severely allergic customer. The customer had made his allergy very clear to the restaurant. *And* this wasn't the first occurrence. 

As a side note, my students' not carefully reading the entire article/instructions/syllabus/etc. was a major pet peeve, and concern, of mine.

Oh I totally missed that, in that case it is murder. Unbelievable how someone would deliberately do that to another person. Makes me sad to hear