• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Galaktoboureko

Nicolai

I enjoy Greek food and specially Galaktoboureko.

Upon discussing with some friends, apparently it is the Greek version of Mille-Feuille or vice versa.

I like Mille-Feuille as well as a Galaktoboureko and finally managed to do an acceptable one........by my Chef Patissier friend......I poured the hot sugar syrup  :B

It looks like this........

Photo%2021-05-2016%2011%2043%2033%201_zp

• Like 7

I never heard of this one before. Semolina custard seems more interesting then pastry cream. I wonder if this is an intermediate link between baklava to mille feuille. 

Is the filling flavored with something other than milk? 

~ Shai N.

10 hours ago, gfron1 said:

are you going to share your recipe or just tease us? :)

Just tease.........as I am only the Syrup pourer. My Chef friend is the one who takes the credit and I will need to ask him for that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, shain said:

I never heard of this one before. Semolina custard seems more interesting then pastry cream. I wonder if this is an intermediate link between baklava to mille feuille. 

Is the filling flavored with something other than milk? 

Baklawa - MilleFeuille or Galaktoboureko, are all constructed with a Pâte Feuilletée.

The difference is mainly about the filling.

Baklawa is typically Pistachio nuts.

Mille Feuille is Crème pâtissière

Galaktoboureko is Semolina Custard

The Galaktoboureko custard is usually Vanilla, some add Honey or others add Saffron......etc

I wanted to flavour the custard with Rum and was told off by my friend......I think it will be great with Rum as I am a very big fan of Baba au Rhum

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Nicolai said:

Baklawa - MilleFeuille or Galaktoboureko, are all constructed with a Pâte Feuilletée.

The difference is mainly about the filling.

Baklawa is typically Pistachio nuts.

Mille Feuille is Crème pâtissière

Galaktoboureko is Semolina Custard

The Galaktoboureko custard is usually Vanilla, some add Honey or others add Saffron......etc

I wanted to flavour the custard with Rum and was told off by my friend......I think it will be great with Rum as I am a very big fan of Baba au Rhum

Thank you for replying. Baklawa is made with philo pastry, and as much as I understand so does the galaktoboureko, correct? It makes sense that philo inspired puff pastry, if someone has historical knowledge about this, I'd like to hear. 

Do try the rum variation, I can imagine only good things out of this combination. 

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

My recipe is from an old friend of my step-dad's (all Greek :) ).  Her filling was made with farina (she used cream of wheat), butter, egg yolks, orange zest, grand mariner, whipped egg whites and sugar.  The syrup was steeped with more orange, cinnamon and cloves.   It's so good. I haven't made it in a while, but may have too :).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 22 May 2016 at 9:06 AM, shain said:

Thank you for replying. Baklawa is made with philo pastry, and as much as I understand so does the galaktoboureko, correct? It makes sense that philo inspired puff pastry, if someone has historical knowledge about this, I'd like to hear. 

Do try the rum variation, I can imagine only good things out of this combination. 

I had never thought of this before and looking for a reason for a few minutes away from work I consulted that fountain of all human knowledge (and fantasy): Wikipedia.

It seems you are absolutely right shain, here is the link - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puff_pastry

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, DianaB said:

I had never thought of this before and looking for a reason for a few minutes away from work I consulted that fountain of all human knowledge (and fantasy): Wikipedia.

It seems you are absolutely right shain, here is the link - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puff_pastry

Thank you, it's nice to know. Though in retrospect, I should have had looked it up... o.O

~ Shai N.

46 minutes ago, shain said:

Thank you, it's nice to know. Though in retrospect, I should have had looked it up... o.O

I'm really glad you made the suggestion of the link between the two types of pastry, I doubt I ever would have thought of it and it's always interesting to know about the cultural development of foods we simply take for granted, 

• Like 3

This is fascinating. One of the many reasons I love eGullet.

Now, if I could get over my fear of working with puff pastry/phyllo, I might give it a shot.....

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

11 hours ago, kayb said:

This is fascinating. One of the many reasons I love eGullet.

Now, if I could get over my fear of working with puff pastry/phyllo, I might give it a shot.....

Phyllo is amazingly easy to work with, nothing like puff pastry. 

• Like 3

~ Shai N.