• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef: Charleston

huiray

So, we are down to the last show next week with Shirley and Brooke.

i think Sheldon got shafted for a better storyline of Brooke winning from Last Chance Kitchen to avenge her loss to a returnee from LCK.  Sure his fish was not done well but they loved the other components compared to Brooke's dish which they found muddled even though she cooked her fish well.

who will win?

my money is on Brooke if they can cook their own food.

• Like 3

I was almost as surprised at that outcome as I was seeing tears well up in Padma's eyes when she told Sheldon to go.  He brought so much joy to the table, I'm sorry that he won't be in the finale.

A little preview showed Brooke screwing up by forgetting to order the pork belly she needed for her main dish.  Shirley ordered pork belly as a back up and apparently doesn't need it as she tells Brooke she can have it.  Sometime later, Shirley seems to change her mind and says no.   Drama much?

• Like 3

So, the verdict is in.  Whatcha think?

Good on Shirley for giving up her pork belly.  True class.

The cooking was spectacular.  Who wouldn't have wanted to eat any of those dishes.

I thought giving them their sous chefs was heart-warming.

I think Shirley's first pick was a waste and gave Brooke 'The Man'....a serious advantage.

I think Shirley messed up picking Ramen and Tom's point about the proliferation of Ramen Joints and the standard set at them was well taken. 

The choice of an oyster was quite 'ballsy' especially those from the warm water of the Caribbean.  Can't think they were near as good as the Pacific NW or New England oysters.  But I guess the flavours she chose hide the quality of the oyster.  I just found that an odd choice.

The suckling pig shank OMG.  I find it hard to imagine anything beating that.

Shirley's dessert sounded amazing with so many elements.

Brooke's win is a good story line.  Too bad for Shirley, she is so passionate.

Shirley and her mom made me cry.

• Like 1