• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peanut butter shortbread

shain

I'm thinking of making a twin-snickers inspired cookie of sorts, based on crisp peanut flavored shortbread cookie. So I'm looking for a recipe. Ideally, I'd like all the fat coming from peanut butter, and adding only flour and sugar to it.

~ Shai N.

Might not be what you're looking for, but I have a recipe for Biscoff Shortbread Cookies that I used to make a lot, they're very good. I think peanut butter could probably be used in place of the Biscoff. But the recipe does also include butter, all the fat is not from the Biscoff alone. You can probably play around with the proportions of butter/Biscoff (or peanut butter), but I'm not sure you could do away with the butter altogether, although who knows? It might work.

2 sticks butter (8 oz)

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1/2 cup powdered sugar

170 gr Biscoff

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp vanilla

2 cups all-purpose flour

Beat butter & sugar until fluffy. Add Biscoff, salt, vanilla. Mix, scrape bowl as needed. Add flour, mix just to combine. Divide in half, form disks, wrap in plastic, refrigerate.

Preheat to 350F, line sheets with parchment. Roll dough to 1/2-inch, cut 2-inch circles. Place on parchment-lined baking sheets 3/4" apart. Gather scraps, refrigerate 15-20 minutes, re-roll.

Bake 24-28 minutes until just firm & lightly browned. Cool on sheets 10 minutes, then transfer to rack.

My changes: I roll the dough to 1/4-inch because I prefer thinner cookies, and bake 12-14 minutes. 

I don't think I have a specific recipe but I've done shortbreads subbing peanut butter for butter. I'd have to dig really deep in the "daily sweets" thread to find the post but there's one in there somewhere with the peanut butter shortbreads cut to look like Ritz crackers accompanying a Ritz cracker ice cream, peanut butter sauce and a celery coulis if I remember correctly. It was quite a few years ago, Rob (gfron1) and myself were sort of unofficially trading riffs on using celery in a dessert setting. Anyway, to make a long story longer, the peanut butter shortbread thing works fine. I think all I used in mine was flour, icing sugar and peanut butter but it's possible there was some cornstarch in there as well. I use it in some shortbreads.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Thank you both for the replies.

I found the post you mentioned, quite a desert it was! 

Cakewalk, your recipe seems to have a high sugar content, I assume that reducing it might be desirable for me, considering the caramel and choclate I plan to add. Also is there a reason that you use two types of sugar? 

Hopefuly, I'll get to bake a test batch this weekend. 

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

Caramel and chocolate and peanut butter, oh my.

I don't remember where I found the recipe, but the two types of sugar were part of it. I don't always have confectioner's sugar, and I know I have made it using granulated sugar only and it's been fine. Confectioner's sugar incorporates more easily into the cookie dough, and I've noticed that many cookie recipes use it, presumably for that reason. 

So I've made a test batch today, I don't have fine sugar on hand right now, so I used granular. Mixed 100g PB, 65g flour and 40g sugar. Baked until dry and just starting to get some color, lost track of time, maybe 15 minutes.

Tastes just right, very peanut, and just sweet enough, I could feel the sugar crystals, as I thought may happen - adds some crunch, not sure if I like it or not. Only problem is that it's very-very short, it crumbles when handles and lacks crunchiness.

Next batch I'm going to add more flour, and probably some liquid.

It did held it shape while baking (until I lifted it and it crumbled), which is important, as I plan on shaping it into a hollow cylinder.

Thank you both for the input so far.

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so Iv'e came up with a recipe for a biscuit with the texture I'm after.

It's quick to make, peanuty, not too sweet and retains it's shape while baking.

Next I'm going to need a good caramel filling recipe. I want one which will be not fluid, yet not too chewy. For now, it's also very tasty filled with jam.

100g peanut butter

75 g flour

40 g powdered sugar

-Mix all together to form a crumbly dough

25-30 g water

a touch of vanilla

-Add and fold until forms an even dough

-Roll thinly on a lightly floured surface (the dough is very nice to work with and needs not be chilled).

-Roll around a lightly oiled wooden stick to form a cylinder.

-Bake @170 dC until very dry and lightly colored.

20160603_181128.jpg

This is a picture of a biscuit badly rolled but still tasty.

• Like 6

~ Shai N.