• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Changing My relationship to the Faire Feast Kitchen

Porthos

On 4/16/2018 at 11:04 PM, Porthos said:

I realized during the pre-faire weekends part of ren-faire, when we were doing the build, that my pain level was back to chronic. It is my body’s way of saying, “Hey, you’re not anything close to a young man anymore.” Based upon not wanting to be in continuing pain if I had a choice, I chose. I announced my retirement from running or working in the feast kitchen when this season ends.

As a professional football player said when he retired from the game:

"Ninety percent of me is very sad, but my knees are very, very happy."  

Take care of yourself, @Porthos!

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

24 hours from now and I will be done. I have talked with friends that I do faire with and they get why I made my decision to walk awau. We use my large event grill for part of a potluck for our major tear down day, which is tomorrow. Me, I've been tearing down since Tuesday. Tomorrow my grill, a few propane tanks and some random totes will go into my truck in the afternoon and then I ride off into the sunset.

My DW is having a hard time with my decision to walk away completely. I think it will take some time for her to make peace with it. She has commented that there will be parts that I will miss. That is most likely true, but they will be minor things to miss.  I know, and as I have indicated above, my friends know that this is the right thing to do. It's not out of anger that I leave, it's out of an understanding that my life has changed in 18 years (19 seasons) and I need to live my life for who I am now.

• Like 5

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

And it is done. God Save the Queen. Smallish turnout for tear down so I didn't have to grill up too much food; 24 burger patties, 13(?) Costco Polish dogs and 14 regular hot dogs. I made my signature Grain Salad with feta, and I made some bagel schmear with cream cheese and a package of Coscto's Smoked Salmon that was left over.

Upon leaving my Tundra was packed the gills since there were several things I forgot I needed to bring home. However, the unpacking of this load will wait until Monday since were are going to the Scottish Fest in Orange County tomorrow for some well-earned down time. I can already taste the steak and mushroom pastie.

• Like 10

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;