• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Porthos

Changing My relationship to the Faire Feast Kitchen

On 4/16/2018 at 11:04 PM, Porthos said:

I realized during the pre-faire weekends part of ren-faire, when we were doing the build, that my pain level was back to chronic. It is my body’s way of saying, “Hey, you’re not anything close to a young man anymore.” Based upon not wanting to be in continuing pain if I had a choice, I chose. I announced my retirement from running or working in the feast kitchen when this season ends.

As a professional football player said when he retired from the game:

"Ninety percent of me is very sad, but my knees are very, very happy."  

Take care of yourself, @Porthos!

• Like 4

24 hours from now and I will be done. I have talked with friends that I do faire with and they get why I made my decision to walk awau. We use my large event grill for part of a potluck for our major tear down day, which is tomorrow. Me, I've been tearing down since Tuesday. Tomorrow my grill, a few propane tanks and some random totes will go into my truck in the afternoon and then I ride off into the sunset.

My DW is having a hard time with my decision to walk away completely. I think it will take some time for her to make peace with it. She has commented that there will be parts that I will miss. That is most likely true, but they will be minor things to miss.  I know, and as I have indicated above, my friends know that this is the right thing to do. It's not out of anger that I leave, it's out of an understanding that my life has changed in 18 years (19 seasons) and I need to live my life for who I am now.

• Like 5

And it is done. God Save the Queen. Smallish turnout for tear down so I didn't have to grill up too much food; 24 burger patties, 13(?) Costco Polish dogs and 14 regular hot dogs. I made my signature Grain Salad with feta, and I made some bagel schmear with cream cheese and a package of Coscto's Smoked Salmon that was left over.

Upon leaving my Tundra was packed the gills since there were several things I forgot I needed to bring home. However, the unpacking of this load will wait until Monday since were are going to the Scottish Fest in Orange County tomorrow for some well-earned down time. I can already taste the steak and mushroom pastie.

• Like 10