• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pâte de Fruits (Fruit Paste/Fruit Jellies) (Part 2)

minas6907

51 minutes ago, Rajala said:

Did anyone ever make a PDF made out of pomegranate? I'm thinking if I should add some other fruit/berry to the mixture. It's not listed in the old PDF (the real PDF haha) from Boiron that's been shared over the years.

I'd probably do two small experiments - one with a base of apricot or pear - the other with just juice and see if it has enough pectin of it's own to set

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I'd probably do two small experiments - one with a base of apricot or pear - the other with just juice and see if it has enough pectin of it's own to set

Yeah, sounds like a good approach. I do have pear in the freezer, but not apricot. So it's easy to pick what to test here.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rajala said:

Did anyone ever make a PDF made out of pomegranate? I'm thinking if I should add some other fruit/berry to the mixture. It's not listed in the old PDF (the real PDF haha) from Boiron that's been shared over the years.

Here are a couple of recipes that might be of interest: 

https://lucysfriendlyfoods.com/2020/12/19/pomegranate-and-grenadine-pate-de-fruits/

https://www.julescooking.com/single-post/how-to-make-pate-de-fruit-best-candy-ever

Neither recipe is exactly a "professional" Boiron-style recipe, but they are interesting because they don't use any other fruit.

• 4 weeks later...

Update for anyone curious: pomegranate puree is basically juice. I went with 100% pomegranate for a PDF, cooked it to 107°C. While it got a bit of texture, it really wasn't a PDF. But since I'm piping it, whatever. If you want a PDF you should probably reduce it by 30-40% and use pear puree as well. To really get that flavor, like the pomegranate syrups you can buy, which got a kick to it.

• Like 2