• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Bentley

Bentley

I made a peach PDF this weekend.  My two biggest issues when making PDFs are (1) sweetness.  No matter what the fruit, everything just tastes like sugar to me.  There is so much sugar in the recipe, that the sweetness just overpowers the flavor of the fruit.  I will try mixing the acid into the sugar coating.  Does it have to be citric acid or does tartaric work as well?  How much of the acid do you mix in with the sugar?  The second issue is the speed with which it sets.  I cook to 107* and it is setting as I am pouring it out of the pan into a frame.  No big deal for candies or for enrobed bonbons, but if I want to use it in a molded bonbon, there is no way I could pipe it.  By the time it cooled enough to put in chocolate shells, it would be way too firm to pipe.  How do people do molded bonbons with a PDF layer?  I see it on different chocolatier websites all the time, so there must be a way.  

Bentley

Bentley

I made a peach PDF this weekend.  My two biggest issues when making PDFs are (1) sweetness.  No matter what the fruit, everything just tastes like sugar to me.  There is so much sugar in the recipe, that the sweetness masks the flavor.  I will try mixing the acid into the sugar coating.  Does it have to be citric acid or does tartaric work as well?  How much of the acid do you mix in with the sugar?  The second issue is the speed with which it sets.  I cook to 107* and it is setting as I am pouring it out of the pan into a frame.  No big deal for candies or for enrobed bonbons, but if I want to use it in a molded bonbon, there is no way I could pipe it.  By the time it cooled enough to put in chocolate shells, it would be way too firm to pipe.  How do people do molded bonbons with a PDF layer?  I see it on different chocolatier websites all the time, so there must be a way.