• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gochujang, non-traditional uses

boudin noir

It seems to be the new Sriracha in terms of an ingredient ;)  

I use it whenever I want the more complex fermented spice - like Chinese hot bean paste 

This 2015 Bon Appetit article does a pretty good job overviewing its use  http://www.bonappetit.com/trends/article/gochujang-korean-chile-paste

• Like 3

Mix it with honey and paint the mixture on large vidalia onion rings that are wrapped with bacon. Bake in a hot oven, turning once and broiling at the end if you want a little char (I do).Makes a mess in the oven but so worth it.

• Like 4

At this point Korean tacos are probably considered traditional, but I still love them and they are what I usually do with gochujang. There are many recipes on line, most derived from Roy Choi's celebrated LA taco truck. They are infinitely adaptable and you can use the hot paste straight or mixed into a "BBQ" sauce. I've made them with beef, pulled pork and chicken. Equally good toppings include kimchi, kimchee slaw or a quick cucumber pickle. Actually I am partial to a Korean burrito, which adds rice to the mix and wraps up with a flour tortilla rather than corn. 

11 hours ago, cyalexa said:

Mix it with honey and paint the mixture on large vidalia onion rings that are wrapped with bacon. Bake in a hot oven, turning once and broiling at the end if you want a little char (I do).Makes a mess in the oven but so worth it.

Oh...dear...sweet...baby...Jesus. I am SO doing this. On the grill. As a side to a perfectly medium rare ribeye.

Kill me now.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@kayb Just bought some Vidalias myself. Not sure about the grill due to flare-up issues and the amount of grease generated by the bacon. I put the rings on a sprayed rack on a sheet pan. Use thin bacon and stretch it a bit while wrapping. If the bacon is thick, stretch it a lot. And it is perfect with ribye.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kayb said:

Oh...dear...sweet...baby...Jesus. I am SO doing this. On the grill. As a side to a perfectly medium rare ribeye.

Kill me now.

Before you die, please post a report.  With pictures.  :P

• Like 8

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 5/19/2016 at 10:09 PM, cyalexa said:
On 5/19/2016 at 2:08 PM, cyalexa said:

@kayb Just bought some Vidalias myself. Not sure about the grill due to flare-up issues and the amount of grease generated by the bacon. I put the rings on a sprayed rack on a sheet pan. Use thin bacon and stretch it a bit while wrapping. If the bacon is thick, stretch it a lot. And it is perfect with ribye.

Two words: Grill Grates. Best thing EVER to prevent flare-ups.

On 5/19/2016 at 10:09 PM, cyalexa said:
On 5/20/2016 at 0:30 AM, Smithy said:

Before you die, please post a report.  With pictures.  :P

Will do. This week, sometime.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I've used it as a base for salad dressing with good results, something in it acts as a binding agent -though I am not sure what.

Also if you mix it with doenjang and some garlic/onions etc you can make your own saamjang - which is great, but pretty traditionally Korean.

I'm a huge fan of creating your own Gochujang with Doenjang and chilis, it has more tingle - I've used this more 'active' paste as a starter for various fermented preparations with mixed results, but the possibility is there. I even used it to start a bread dough.

@kayb

I have grill grates and love them. Still would make the rings in the oven but if it works on the grates be sure to let me know - I would love to be wrong. Also, I didn't mention, cut 3/4 of an inch slices and leave 2 rings together. Only use the nice big ones.