• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

San Diego Bakeries

San Diego has a small number of artisanal bread bakeries. Bread & Cie has been my favorite for years, and their breads are now available in many supermarkets, which is very convenient. But it's nice to have some variety. So I was excited to spot a new bakery this weekend in Linda Vista. It's called Pacific Time and it is also a sandwich place with a small market with things like small-batch preserves, local beers, a cheese counter, charcuterie platters, and wine. It's located within a recently renovated strip mall that also hosts Brew Mart & Ballast Point.

The bread I bought was a French-type rustic boule, dark, a bit reminiscent of Poilane but less dense. The crust could have been a little more crispy (it felt like the bread had sat around a little bit and softened in the paper bag), but the flavor was wonderful.

Pacific Time bakery etc

Pacific Time bakery etc

Here is the bread:

French country bread from Pacific Time

French country bread from Pacific Time

Edited by FrogPrincesse
add pictures (log)
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Bread from Le Parfait Paris at Liberty Station. That place has a selection wonderful pastries, but the bread was not so perfect. I got a rustic loaf of sourdough which was on the soft side. And then it had what I am guessing are proofing issues, with giant bubbles running through the whole length of the loaf. Not ideal for tartines...

Bread from Le Parfait Paris at Liberty Station

Bread from Le Parfait Paris at Liberty Station

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

For pastries, I like 85C (Genesee and Balboa). Also occasionally Arely (Clairemont Square) for something richer.

I like the soft Taiwanese breads for what they are. I havent tried Arely's bread.

• Like 2

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

• 11 months later...