• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jam to Pate de Fruit?

pastryani

Is it possible to make PDF from jam or jelly?  Jam is essentially a more fluid version of PDF, so I would think that I could either (1) boil off extra liquid from the jam until it's thicker, or (2) warm the jam and add a bit of pectin to it to thicken it.  If I were to try the latter, anyone know what amount of pectin would be needed?  Thanks!

I've done (an unsophisticated) PDF from jam many times. The recipe is from one of the first candy books I bought, years ago, Weinstein's The Ultimate Candy Book. It uses gelatin: 2 envelopes of unflavored gelatin, softened in 1/3 cup. 3/4 c. granulated sugar and 1/3 c. water combined and heated to a boil. 1 c. jam or marmalade stirred in to dissolve, gelatin added, bring to a boil and cook 2 minutes. Pour into an oiled pan and refrigerate until set. 

There is a very similar recipe in Ruth Kendrick's Candymaking called 'fruit jam jellies'. 

I'm not sure if these are true PDF but they are good. I've made both with various types of jam or jelly. I preserve so much I have to do something with it. 9_9

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

@gap - I've undercooked PDF before and the consistency has been jam-like; and I've overcooked PDF before and it's been a thick, clumpy mess.  I can't imagine that it would revert to a jam-like consistency if you kept over-cooking it.

@Elaina - thanks much for the suggestion.  I actually have this book and funnily enough I had actually bookmarked the orange PDF recipe with a sticky note. :D  I'll try this out, but maybe I'll reduce the amount of sugar a bit (not sure why it calls for more sugar... jam is usually already super-sweet).  In your experience how does this turn out?  Did you make any changes to the recipe?

Edited by pastryani
name correction! (log)

2 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

dhardy123 and I used the wrong apple pectin and got jam instead of pdf.

Silly question, but what's the "wrong apple pectin"?  I thought pectin was pectin?  Do they have different strengths?

I'm wondering what the mouth feel of the PDF with gelatin will be versus that of one made with pectin.  Only one way to find out!!  :) 

16 minutes ago, pastryani said:

I thought pectin was pectin?

There's three types that spring to my mind - one is not reheatable (ie. loses its setting ability when it's reheated after being set), one that is reheatable and one that sets with calcium concentration instead of acid / sugar. I forget what type they all are though!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pastryani said:

@Elaina - thanks much for the suggestion.  I actually have this book and funnily enough I had actually bookmarked the orange PDF recipe with a sticky note. :D  I'll try this out, but maybe I'll reduce the amount of sugar a bit (not sure why it calls for more sugar... jam is usually already super-sweet).  In your experience how does this turn out?  Did you make any changes to the recipe?

I thought it turned out fine although some types took longer to set than the recipe suggested. I did not change the recipe. I have absolutely no other experience with PDF - it is not something I have ever seen in a store in rural upstate NY. ^_^ So I really do not have any comparison data. I liked it - it was not over the top sweet in my opinion but I did use my own jams/jellies which are no-pectin, lower sugar than commercial jams. I have included it in my holiday candy gifts several times and gotten very positive feed back. I am strictly an amateur candy maker so my experience and knowledge are limited.

Edited by ElainaA (log)
  • Like 1

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina