• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Freezing Caramel

GlorifiedRice

I think the sugar content will make it unfeezable. Likewise, you may not need to do anything to it to allow it to last for quite some time. Worst case you might get some crystallization which can be removed later by warming the caramel up. 

• Like 2

Caramel sauce that is equal parts by weight cream and sugar will last at least a month in the fridge.  You could freeze it but it won't be solid.  Less sugar might not keep as long, more sugar and you may not need to refrigerate.  If it is a thick caramel you could get into crystallization issues in the fridge, especially if there is not much fat - syrups like 2:1 simple can crystallize when cold, but my caramel sauce above never does.

• Like 1

I would just wrap it well, put it in a dark cool place and see what happens. Again, the sugar content is high enough that there's not really going to be a food safety issue. Depending on how you made it  you may experience some fat seepage, and you may see some crystalization (although I doubt it now that I know what you made). Worst case you're out a buck in ingredients.

I vacuum-seal and freeze leftover caramel all the time.  As gfron1 said, it doesn't usually freeze completely solid.  Once I take it out and heat it, it always appears and tastes fine to me.  With a vacuum seal, it doesn't pick up any moisture.  You can also mix it with a new batch with no problems.  As also said previously, it probably isn't necessary to freeze caramel, but if you have the space, why not?

Edited by Jim D. (log)