• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookies that stay soft

RichardJones

A friend of mine is trying to develop a recipe for a soft/chewie cookie which will stay chewy when stored at ambient temperature in a shop after distribution (ie for some time!)

I don't know anything about cookies so if you have any ideas or recipes you'd recommend looking at I'd be very grateful. Thank you for your suggestions.

===================================================

I kept a blog during my pâtisserie training in France: Candid Cake

A portion of liquid sugars will help. So will higher protein flours that absorb more moisture. Bread flour can work, if your method minimizes gluten formation. I make chocolate chip cookies with a significant portion of oat flour, which is high-protein and non gluten-forming. Even without a liquid sugar component, and with tons of butter, these stay soft and chewy almost indefinitely. 

Edited by paulraphael (log)
  • Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

Thank you all for your replies. Invert sugar and oil were my first ideas too so I'm glad to see them backed up. I have never come across oat flour before so thank you for that suggestion too. Time to play!

• Like 1

===================================================

I kept a blog during my pâtisserie training in France: Candid Cake