• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beef tendons

Franci

I usually eat beef tendon Szechuan style every Saturday, it's tendon and shin. I wanted to try something different, so I asked my butcher to get me some tendons and he put me on the side a little less than a pound. I was intrigued by this recipe. I didn't have szechuan peppercorns or dry chili, so I used fennel, black pepper, garlic, korean ground peppers. And I didn't vacuum seal but put in a terrine with a weight. 8 days have passed, need to cook them but I don't have the sauce mentioned, any suggestion? I also thought about PCooking them.

Thanks

Yesterday,

I just bought some too!!  Sauce looks like a lot of red pepper flake..  I think it would have some acidy and sweetness  I make one with chili paste, rice wine vinegar and green onions I will probably use.  posssibly add some Gogeejang ( sp )  ..lord forbid some catsup ..tomato paste ? 

Like to see what everyone else has to say

I'm going to PC  mine

I like it.   ----->  But I dont have a slicer  ?

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)

Its good to have Morels

there is a Szechuan restaurant near me, on the way to TJ's

I noted they have beef tendons

a shame they do not have salted and spiced calamari

but  ....   it this a texture thing ?  gelatinous ?  

what's the calling you to the plate for expertly made BT ?

4 minutes ago, Paul Bacino said:

Mine were on SALE  !!

Seriously Paul I'm just as curious. What is the appeal of this dish? Is it a texture thing? 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N    Don't know till i try it!!  Never made just a dish from tendon

For me,  when I eat Pho soup..  that is one of the things I loved to eat in the soup. 

The texture is wonderful,, gelatinous.  So when I saw it on sale I bought it.. knowing I could find a recipe to cook em...  I'm sure the key here is to make sure they a cooked fully

Its good to have Morels

5 hours ago, Paul Bacino said:

Yesterday,

I just bought some too!!  Sauce looks like a lot of red pepper flake..  I think it would have some acidy and sweetness  I make one with chili paste, rice wine vinegar and green onions I will probably use.  posssibly add some Gogeejang ( sp )  ..lord forbid some catsup ..tomato paste ? 

Like to see what everyone else has to say

I'm going to PC  mine

I like it.   ----->  But I dont have a slicer  ?

Paul, if I had to do Italian style, I'll cook them fresh with my beef stock in the pressure cooker, put in a terrine with a little bit of salt and press down until the day after. Then slice thin and add thinly sliced sweet onion, sharp white wine/oil dressing and chopped parsley.

This time I cured in salt for 8 days, curious to know how they will turn. I'll put them in the PC when I get back tonight, just with vegetables without rinsing them and press them. I'll report back tomorrow.

I love  tendons.

• Like 2

Sooo

the texture is gelatinous ?  

that's all I can think of.

I have a community from Brazil one town over

they have a very nice Meat market near me

some very interesting ''chorizo"  but of its own kind

they also have a lot of beef calf muscles, with the tendon, the one that got Achilles in trouble.

I know that's different, but ....................

Tendon texture seemed crunchy rather than gelatinous to me (probably it does get gelatinous if boiled long enough).

I tasted it used in Fu Qi Fei Pian - a cold SiChuan dish with a slightly sweet, sour and very bright Mala dressing. Grew addicted to it while in ChengDu last week.

fuqifeipian.jpg

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, zend said:

Tendon texture seemed crunchy rather than gelatinous to me (probably it does get gelatinous if boiled long enough).

I also often get beef tendon in Vietnamese pho soup, where it's typically both crunchy and gelatinous. Delicious and full of umami!

Edited by FrogPrincesse
Clarification (log)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, FrogPrincesse said:

I also often get beef tendon in Vietnamese pho soup, where it's typically both crunchy and gelatinous. Delicious and full of umami!

The next time "the ladies who lunch" go for pho I too will try the tendon version.  I know it is on the menu.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

To me, a bowl of Phở without either tendon or tripe is simply deficient. Beef flank or beef balls etc can be omitted, but a bowl of Phở that has simply "rare beef slices" (equivalent to simply Phở bo) is just a shadow of the dish. IMO. YMMV of course.  Also, to me, "crunchy" tendon (??) is undercooked tendon. I view a restaurant that serves me crunchy tendon (you mean chewy) in my bowl of phở as a place that didn't take the time to properly cook the tendons.

Here's one example of Phở I made with tendon & tripe.

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/150165-dinner-2014-part-7/?do=findComment&comment=2003969 

There are others I've posted here on eG.

I usually order phở đặc biệt when I eat out at a Viet restaurant and want a bowl of the stuff.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, huiray said:

To me, a bowl of Phở without either tendon or tripe is simply deficient. Beef flank or beef balls etc can be omitted, but a bowl of Phở that has simply "rare beef slices" (equivalent to simply Phở bo) is just a shadow of the dish. IMO. YMMV of course.  Also, to me, "crunchy" tendon (??) is undercooked tendon. I view a restaurant that serves me crunchy tendon (you mean chewy) in my bowl of phở as a place that didn't take the time to properly cook the tendons.

Here's one example of Phở I made with tendon & tripe.

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/150165-dinner-2014-part-7/?do=findComment&comment=2003969 

There are others I've posted here on eG.

I usually order phở đặc biệt when I eat out at a Viet restaurant and want a bowl of the stuff.

No, not chewy. There is a very slight (but pleasant) resistance and yes, a crunch with the first bite, and then it's mostly rich gelatin. I agree with you that a proper pho needs tendon AND tripe (plus brisket and flank, etc). :)

• Like 1

On 5/14/2016 at 1:38 PM, Franci said:

- if I had to do Italian style, I'll cook them fresh ---------- and chopped parsley.

I love  tendons.

Isn't there a famous song, made famous by Elvis Parsley?

Elvis Parsley 

Love me tendon, 
Love me sweet, 
Never let me go.
You have made my life complete, 
And I love you so.

dcarch

• Like 2

Hi, hi, like that dcarch!

This my tendons after they have been in salt and spices for 9 days

tendons1.JPG

I didn't scrape the excess salt and when in the KR with just water and some scallions and 1 carrot. PCooked for 1 and half hours. I had to leave, so I turned off and came back after 1 hour. They were cooked just right for me, only too salty. For who is wondering at this stage they are very gelatinous and quite tender with just some bite. 

tendons2.JPG

So, being too salty I decided to cover again with cold water, bring to a boil and let it sit for 1/2 an hour. Perfect saltiness and still nicely spiced. I could have eaten the all thing like that...my husband instead prefers them crunchier, so I put the in a terrine, pressed and in the fridge. I'm going to slice later.

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 3

This is my set up!!

I went with a 2/1  Sugar (  Demerera ) / Kosher salt  /  Ginger/ peppers/ fennel/ garlic

26963611241_4765bf5d33_h[1].jpg26426859104_f471cfcaf9_h[1].jpg

Does one need to trim tendon?

Below ready for the Bag O game ---  rest till next weekend  f

27032131135_b6e05b2a11_h[1].jpg

• Like 1

Its good to have Morels