• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Report: eG Chocolate and Confectionery Workshop 2016

RobertM

Wow! Everything I could have learned at the workshop would have been awesome... but that breakfast alone would have been worth the price of admission for me.

• Like 9

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

If you don't mind me asking, who makes those dragon molds? I really like those.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

3 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

If you don't mind me asking, who makes those dragon molds? I really like those.

Chocolate World makes the dragon mold. tikidoc brought the mold to the workshop and a few of us are quite tempted to order our own.  :-)

@tikidoc what is the mold number for your dragons?

Edited by curls (log)
  • Like 2

I thought they were Chocolate World, but I was wrong. This is the link to the mold. They are about a 4 ounce mold. My kids were absolutely thrilled when I sent them a picture of the dragons.

http://www.chocolat-chocolat.com/home/chocolate-molds/chocolate-molds-cabrellon/p17670038.html

Edited by tikidoc (log)
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, tikidoc said:

I thought they were Chocolate World, but I was wrong. This is the link to the mold. They are about a 4 ounce mold. My kids were absolutely thrilled when I sent them a picture of the dragons.

http://www.chocolat-chocolat.com/home/chocolate-molds/chocolate-molds-cabrellon/p17670038.html

Thanks!

Sadly, I'm at the airport and had to leave my old and new friends behind. As usual, Kerry put together an awesome weekend. The food was amazing as was the company. I hope everyone learned a lot and will plan on Vegas next year. Thanks Kerry and Rodney!!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 7

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

Kerry, you mentioned something in the planning discussion that I didn't see come up so far here in the report discussion. Since it didn't come up here, this is going to be slightly off of the topic at hand but the other discussion is now locked so I'm asking here anyway. Is there a mail order source here in Canada for those IBC Power Flowers? I'm curious about being able to easily create an infinite number of colors with white chocolate. Seems like there would be applications where that might be a better (and probably more economical) option than colored cocoa butter. Things like certain types of figure molding and stuff like that.

31 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Is there a mail order source here in Canada for those IBC Power Flowers?

I'd like to know where to get those power flowers too. Is there a source/distributor for folks in the US?

On May 14, 2016 at 3:00 PM, Chocolot said:

Just a few shots of our play day. #egtoronto

image.jpeg

The dragons are so cool!  What were they filled with?  I always wonder what to fill larger molds with so that they're not overwhelmingly sweet to eat.

Thank you all for reporting about the fun you have been having this weekend - and often with such glorious pictures! So sorry I missed it all again this year.

I am sure Kerry will respond about where to get the power flowers in Canada. She told me the name of a place in Toronto over a year ago and I thought I still had the info in a PM she sent me but alas it seems to have disappeared (did we lose some PMs when the software change happened?). They are generally wholesalers but I called them way back then and they said they could sell to me as well. I never did order them - was waiting for my 'I NEED to make chocolate' addiction to kick in but sadly it hasn't as yet - but oh I so wanted some of those (and will probably get some down the line).

It looks like it was a good time. Really wish I could have been there. I know it's not the same as being there but it was still fun being part of things via the reports and pictures here. Thanks everybody for letting us tag along.

• Like 3

Here's my report...I notice from my pics that I guess I don't like talking pictures of people :$, so here are all my foodie photos!

IMG_3459-resized.jpg

Green curry from Mengrai Thai.  Finally caught the group after a 3 hour delay in Denver and a missed Morato demo :(

IMG_3465-resized.jpg

Bloomed chocolate dipped marshmallow from Cacao 70 in the distillery district...we had many ideas as to why it bloomed, but forgot to ask Kerry her opinion (and no, I did not buy it!)

IMG_3466-resized.jpg

My "make your own" pizza and salad of Friday night...both were fabulous.  Rodney and Kat did a spectacular job keeping us fat and happy over the weekend!

IMG_3467-resized.jpgIMG_3468-resized.jpg

A couple of Saturday morning delicacies, I sure do love French pastries!

IMG_3470-resized.jpgIMG_3472-resized.jpgIMG_3482-resized.jpg

My progressive pics of the panning we did between Saturday and Sunday...cocoa puffs pre-panned, after panning the first day with a finished product for contrast, and Sunday's final product.  Learned a lot and have a much better appreciation of panned items than I did before!

IMG_3474-resized.jpgIMG_3476-resized.jpgIMG_3481-resized.jpg

A few highlights from Saturday night dinner, the caprese salad was to die for, even if tomatoes are not in season in Toronto right now.  Everything was amazing, a truly delightful dinner, worth every penny!  I loved the blue crock the chicken dish was in and of course dessert! Kat outdid herself on that ice cream :x.  And I guess I should've taken a picture of wine, as I might have overindulged a bit on the red wine selection :D

IMG_3484-resized.jpgIMG_3485-resized.jpgIMG_3486-resized.jpg

As per a recommendation from Matt and Matt, Gaylene and I went on a public transit adventure in the blustery cold weather Sunday night to enjoy some lovely Pho and salad rolls from the Golden Turtle.  A nice little cleanse after eating all those darn lovely French pastries!

IMG_3483-resized.jpg

This was probably the highlight of the weekend, the official "winner" of the fuji airbrush.  It will have to wait until next fall to get utilized, but I cannot wait to start working with it.  We'll see how much of a pain it will be getting it through customs and onto the plane :blink:

Other than panning I did work on a couple chocolates, just didn't get pictures of them, or of the spread of amazing products that everyone worked on throughout the weekend or what was brought to the social...so it's a good thing that others are better at taking photos than me or we'd have a piss poor report :wink:

As always, Kerry outdid herself in another fantastically successful workshop.  The weekend went way too fast, but it was so great to spend the time that I did with like-minded folks playing with chocolate!

Edited by YetiChocolates (log)
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, pastryani said:

The dragons are so cool!  What were they filled with?  I always wonder what to fill larger molds with so that they're not overwhelmingly sweet to eat.

They were filled with a peanut butter gianduja made with about 80% milk chocolate/20% dark, and a little salt. The dark and the salt were to cut the sweet a bit, but they are for my kids so "too sweet" was not a major concern.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

Kerry, you mentioned something in the planning discussion that I didn't see come up so far here in the report discussion. Since it didn't come up here, this is going to be slightly off of the topic at hand but the other discussion is now locked so I'm asking here anyway. Is there a mail order source here in Canada for those IBC Power Flowers? I'm curious about being able to easily create an infinite number of colors with white chocolate. Seems like there would be applications where that might be a better (and probably more economical) option than colored cocoa butter. Things like certain types of figure molding and stuff like that.

Signature Fine Foods is the importer. 

• Like 2

We had a drawing for donated items. Here are some of our happy recipients. Matt got the chicken that we all wanted! A huge thank you to our sponsors: Cocotransfers, Chef Rubber, Design Realization, Chocolat-chocolat, Fuji, Cocoa Barry.

Kerry, who did I miss?

IMG_4822.jpgIMG_4821.jpgIMG_4810.jpgIMG_4819.jpgIMG_4813.jpgIMG_4814.jpgIMG_4820.jpg

IMG_4811.jpg

IMG_4806.jpg

• Like 7

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

I have no photos to share, but wanted to say what a wonderful weekend it was. Meeting people whose names I have seen on eG for years,and whose faces I have seen in photos from past workshop reports, was a delight. I learned so much from so many of you! Extra, extra special thanks to Kerry, as always, and to Rodney, Jess, and Kat for making us all feel so welcome and being so generous with your time and knowledge!

• Like 5

Patty