• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Report: eG Chocolate and Confectionery Workshop 2016

RobertM

Laying a straightedge of some sort (a ruler or something) across a row of cavities that have already been sprayed and running some sort of pointy tool through each cavity along the straightedge might make it faster and easier to keep nice straight lines. Just a thought, I've never tried anything like this.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

3 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Laying a straightedge of some sort (a ruler or something) across a row of cavities that have already been sprayed and running some sort of pointy tool through each cavity along the straightedge might make it faster and easier to keep nice straight lines. Just a thought, I've never tried anything like this.

Good idea - bet that would help with my straight line deficit!

32 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Good idea - bet that would help with my straight line deficit!

I didn't actually notice a straight line deficit. It's just in my nature to try to figure out the fastest, easiest way I can get things done without sacrificing quality. I've long suspected that I have a constant internal battle waging... the desire to do things vs. inherent laziness. :D

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Just wanted to make my small contribution to this thread regarding the stripe for the molded pralines.

These are some of my projects. The first picture (green with white specs and yellow line) did this one with a toothpick once the green color was almost 90% dry. The line is not straight since it was not intended to be and with the mold is impossible to achieve it.

Second picture black sphere and white square, this was done for a wedding and the clients wanted those shapes with the stripes. I achieved this doing it with a tape that 3M sells which I think is like 3mm thick already cut (bought it in Amazon) cutting and laying the tape is not that difficult, but a bit time consuming, once you get that hang of it's
quite fast. The thinner line was done with a tape used for nail decorations this is much more time consuming since its extremely thin and moves.

On both I used a flat sculpting pencil to lay down the tapes into the molds.

Neither of the tapes are food safe, but consulted some people in the chemical industry and they mentioned it should be ok to use it only to mask the molds and since they dont leave any residue there would be no problem to be in contact with the mold used for chcocolate or candy.

Did try some of the tapes used in the medical industry and none of them were satisfacory since the CB went through.

Hope this helps 

im1.jpg

im2.jpg

im3.jpg

im5.jpg

im6.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Thank you Jim D.!  I searched for food safe tape but didn't find anything.  I would consider this OK to use because it removes easily with no residue.  This tape is normally used for fine paint details on metals.  It is really relatively fast to apply.  But not quite fast enough for my production, I will go back to the hand painted swoosh I have been using, and just use the tape for special occasions..