• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

9 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

better than most stevia products but still mildly bitter in spite of what they claim.

Yeah, I was so excited when I was able to actually purchase stevia after reading about it for years. I was so disappointed when I tasted it in hot drinks and baking applications. Bitter, bitter, bitter! A beautiful fantasy crushed to smithereens.  *Sigh* :)

One weird thing is I can put stevia in my husband's iced tea, and he doesn't notice any difference at all, so people's palates my vary quite a bit with this natural sweetener.

My best results with baking with sugar substitutes has been with the Splenda commercial baking mix, which is matrodextrin and sucralose. It is much more expensive than sugar, but if it's necessary for your health, I reckon it's still a bargain.

I've also had excellent result from drastically reducing the real sugar content in baking recipes, as AnnaN recommended. I always do this to very good results.

Thanks for all the great tips @DiggingDogFarm.

9 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

better than most stevia products but still mildly bitter in spite of what they claim.

Yeah, I was so excited when I was able to actually purchase stevia after reading about it for years. I was so disappointed when I tasted it in hot drinks and baking applications. Bitter, bitter, bitter! A beautiful fantasy crushed to smithereens.  *Sigh* :)

My best results with baking with sugar substitutes has been with the Splenda commercial baking mix, which is matrodextrin and sucralose. It is much more expensive than sugar, but if it's necessary for your health, I reckon it's still a bargain.

I've also had excellent result from drastically reducing the real sugar content in baking recipes, as AnnaN recommended. I always do this to very good results.

Thanks for all the great tips @DiggingDogFarm.