• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Water Plants in Cooking

JohnT

[HOST'S NOTE: This discussion was split from a general gardening discussion on our Off-Topic forum].

@liuzhou Do you use any of the water plants in cooking? In South Africa we have what is called "waterblommetjie bredie" which translates to "water flower stew", which is a very popular stew, normally cooked with lamb. Looking at the buds of the flowers in the pond, they would make a superb stew!

Edited by Chris Hennes
Host's note added. (log)

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

The roots, seeds, flowers and young leaves of the lotus plant are all edible. Lotus root is very commonly used in stir fries, soups etc. It is also pickled and used in salads.   The seeds are a seasonal delicacy or are made into lotus bean paste used in cakes and desserts.The flowers and leaves commonly consumed, but can be.Leaves are often used to wrap zongzi, but are not eaten.

I'm not at home right now, but will post some examples later.

Edited by liuzhou
formatting (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

There is watercress - grows in water. 

I have eaten the roots of cattails - in the spring, later on they get very bitter. 

And you have to be very CAREFUL where you harvest them in the wild.  Some waters are polluted.  And in some places the plants grow in and around water HEMLOCK, which is deadly poison.  The roots will absorb these so only from water you know is clean.

When I was a child in Kentucky we had a water garden where my grandmother grew water chestnuts, water spinach, cattails, and a kind of celery, bog pickleweed or pickerel weed.  They were both ornamental for the flowers and all were edible.

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Perhaps it might be useful to indicate which "Off-Topic" forum this came from. I am uncertain what the context of this exchange was since I don't readily "see" what the preceding posts were on whatever thread this came from. I don't know what stream this was split from - the mod note does not say which one, and a look at the off-topic sub-forum does not readily suggest which one this is.  But -- has the poster ( @JohnT) looked at the various "meal" threads where lotus root soups, for example, have been reported on repeatedly?

There have been many posts about lotus root soup on the dinner/lunch/etc threads, for example. But perhaps the member from SA did not notice them over the years?

Nevertheless, I might also mention kangkong. One of the MOST COMMON vegetables eaten by E/SE Asian folks (=millions of people).  A lot of commercial production of this no longer involves actual water (very damp soil suffices instead) but the traditional growing places were in flowing water.  There have also been many posts here illustrating dishes with this "water vegetable".

Regarding "standard" watercress – there is an old Chinese story (apocryphal,  no doubt; related to me by my father) about a weak, starving man finding himself on the banks of a river and in desperation pulling and eating the plants growing in the water/soggy banks --- and wondrously becoming better. It was watercress, of course; and this was the story related to me when I was growing up.  

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

And then there's lake grown wild rice.

Interestingly, wild rice is grown in China. But the Chinese do not particularly like wild rice. Instead, they like the swollen infected stems. The stems taste like bamboo shoots.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wild+rice+stem+in+china&rlz=1C1RNHN_enUS472US472&espv=2&biw=1250&bih=662&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiG97_nwdXMAhUHMyYKHW38CxsQ_AUIBigB

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, huiray said:

Perhaps it might be useful to indicate which "Off-Topic" forum this came from.

But against the rules.

14 hours ago, andiesenji said:

And you have to be very CAREFUL where you harvest them in the wild.  Some waters are polluted.  And in some places the plants grow in and around water HEMLOCK, which is deadly poison.  The roots will absorb these so only from water you know is clean.

Hear. Hear. I have lotus growing within yards of my home, but I wouldn't eat it under any circumstances. I know that water isn't clean.

9 hours ago, dcarch said:

Interestingly, wild rice is grown in China. But the Chinese do not particularly like wild rice. Instead, they like the swollen infected stems. The stems taste like bamboo shoots.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wild+rice+stem+in+china&rlz=1C1RNHN_enUS472US472&espv=2&biw=1250&bih=662&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiG97_nwdXMAhUHMyYKHW38CxsQ_AUIBigB

That sounds like a wild stereotype. I know many Chinese people who like wild rice. All my local supermarkets stock it (and I don't mean the stems), so someone must be buying it. Given that I am about the only foreigner in the city, I'm guessing it might be Chinese people.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

That sounds like a wild stereotype. I know many Chinese people who like wild rice. All my local supermarkets stock it (and I don't mean the stems), so someone must be buying it. Given that I am about the only foreigner in the city, I'm guessing it might be Chinese people.

Possible. My limited observation environment can turn into stereotyping. But I have never seen wild rice sold in the many large Chinese supermarkets here in NYC, I have never seen wild rice on Chinese restaurant menus in my trips to China and in the USA. I have never been served wild rice by my Chinese friends.

From WIKI:

"----Manchurian wild rice (Chinesepinyin), gathered from the wild, was once an important grain in ancient China.[2]:165 It is now very rare in the wild, and its use as a grain has completely disappeared in China, though it continues to be cultivated for its stems.[2]:165 ----"

dcarch

2 hours ago, dcarch said:

Possible. My limited observation environment can turn into stereotyping. But I have never seen wild rice sold in the many large Chinese supermarkets here in NYC, I have never seen wild rice on Chinese restaurant menus in my trips to China and in the USA. I have never been served wild rice by my Chinese friends.

From WIKI:

"----Manchurian wild rice (Chinesepinyin), gathered from the wild, was once an important grain in ancient China.[2]:165 It is now very rare in the wild, and its use as a grain has completely disappeared in China, though it continues to be cultivated for its stems.[2]:165 ----"

I am sure there are many things which don't turn up in NYC Chinese supermarkets.

But if it's on Wikipedia it must be true!

Well, there seem to be various entries (e.g. in Baidu (GoogleTranslation), or websites like this one (GoogTr) or this one (GooGTr)) that say "wild rice" (菰米) is indicated for medicinal purposes...Could some folks be buying and eating it still for those purposes? There's also this where the authors say:

There are four species of wild rice (WR) belonging to the genus Zizania. Zizania aquatica L., Zizania palustris L., and Zizania texana Hitche are native to North America, whereas Zizania latifolia (Griseb) Turcz is native to China, Japan and Vietnam. Little is known about the nutritional value of WR, but available studies indicate that WR has higher content of protein, dietary fibre, vitamin B1, B2, E and minerals than the common white rice(6 – 8). Chinese WR was once an important grain in ancient China, and was used as an herbal medicine to treat diabetes and other diseases associated with nutrition, but today its use for this purpose has disappeared. The present study was undertaken to determine whether intake of WR has desirable effects on serum lipid and antioxidant status in an animal model that is consuming a diet high in fat and cholesterol.

but their study also seems aimed at suggesting that wild rice be substituted for (?) normal rice or other carbs in modern urban Chinese lives to combat obesity etc etc – perhaps in some places this is being promoted more than in other places?

OTOH and in contrast, the Baidu entry (GoogTr) on "water bamboo" a.k.a. 高笋 is voluminous. Hmm.

There's also this, but that study seems directed towards wild forms of Oryza (which is standard rice) rather than Zizania...

Perhaps Zizania wild rice is making a come-back in some parts of China? Is the "wild rice" being sold native-grown (i.e. Zizania latifolia) or is it imported (North American?)?

Edited by huiray (log)

37 minutes ago, huiray said:

Well, there seem to be various entries (e.g. in Baidu (GoogleTranslation), or websites like this one (GoogTr) or this one (GooGTr)) that say "wild rice" (菰米) is indicated for medicinal purposes.

Is there anything in Chinese cuisine which isn't indicated for medicinal purposes?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Is there anything in Chinese cuisine which isn't indicated for medicinal purposes?

Very True!

I harvested some knotweed for dinner last night.

Google Translate:

Knotweed --->  虎杖

Googled 虎杖 ----------------> "---Having dampness jaundice , detoxification, Sanyu pain , cough and phlegm . For heat jaundice , pouring muddy , vaginal discharge, rheumatism , sore carbuncles , water and fire burns , amenorrhea , Zheng Jia , playing instep injury , Hyperactivity cough.----"

All good for me, except vagina discharge. I am lacking that organ in me. LOL!

dcarchknotweed chciken 5.jpg

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 1

Do cranberries count?  Also seaweed (although technically seawater plant....). 

Water chestnuts, which most of us have probably eaten before.  I've never cooked a fresh water chestnut, even though I can get them easily enough.  They're a real pain to peel, as a recall from watching my mom prep them.  What are some good ways to feature fresh water chestnuts?

Water caltrops - I've had them only once ever, as a child.  They are freakish black double-horned nut thingies that look like bats.  Mom boiled them.  I remember they smelled pretty funky and were difficult to peel open.  I have seen them from time to time in the Chinese markets, but I've not had the nerve to attempt cooking them.  http://www.thehongkongcookery.com/2014/09/boiled-water-caltrop.html

50 minutes ago, Beebs said:

-----

Water caltrops - I've had them only once ever, as a child.  They are freakish black double-horned nut thingies that look like bats.  Mom boiled them.  I remember they smelled pretty funky and were difficult to peel open.  I have seen them from time to time in the Chinese markets, but I've not had the nerve to attempt cooking them.  http://www.thehongkongcookery.com/2014/09/boiled-water-caltrop.html

You mean these guys I made for Halloween?

dcarch

halloween water chestnut 2.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Heh. Probably not. (Though it seems possible that something isn't) But the larger point was that those three articles don't talk about Zizania wild rice being used simply as food, but talks only about the medicinal benefits of eating it. The Baidu article on "paddy rice" (ordinary Oryza rice) (GoogTr), by comparison, is (as expected) very long and detailed, and also talks about the nutritional benefits of it but there doesn't seem to be a mention of medicinal benefits... :-)

Yes, almost everything that I ate in Chinese cuisine growing up (when I was surrounded by my folks and aunts and older relatives and others who were acquainted with the "properties" of everything) would urge us to eat this or that because of the health benefits but one's primary reason for eating common items was as food, for the taste, texture, nutrition - and the supposed medicinal benefits were usually an afterthought - or the supposed healthful benefits were used to urge a recalcitrant eater to partake.

Of course there is a huge category of Chinese cuisine dishes & items that are used for their medicinal/healing/tonic/etc properties as assigned in Chinese medicine but that a little different.  Ascribing "sympathetic properties" to ingredients as an additional reason to eat something - e.g. eating pig brains improved one's own brains etc - is also slightly different. I loved double-boiled pig brain soup when I was young. I miss it - but I miss it because of the taste/texture/flavor, not because of its supposed healthful benefits. Yes, I've tried for years to get ahold of fresh pig brains - but in the West/USA butchers/pig farmers refuse to offer it for "health reasons" (HAHA!!) largely due to its perceived rapid deterioration and whatnot.

4 hours ago, Beebs said:

Do cranberries count?  Also seaweed (although technically seawater plant....). 

Water chestnuts, which most of us have probably eaten before.  I've never cooked a fresh water chestnut, even though I can get them easily enough.  They're a real pain to peel, as a recall from watching my mom prep them.  What are some good ways to feature fresh water chestnuts?

2 hours ago, dcarch said:

Speaking for myself I would say cranberries don't really count. They're grown in wet medium, yes - "bogs", marshy places, with specific characteristics (like acidity) but they don't grow submerged in water or with water flowing above the level of the ground. In fact, much of the actual whole cranberries we buy in the supermarket etc are also dry harvested, where the berries MUST be completely dry, and the "bogs" are definitely NOT covered with water in the least. 

But water chestnuts (more specifically, Eleocharis dulcis) and water caltrops (more specifically, Trapa natans/bicornis/rossica)(Note that this is ALSO called "water chestnut") – why not? In particular, water caltrop plants grow floating in water so I would say they definitely qualify! Water caltrops are classified as "invasive" in North America, by the way – see here and here, for example.

In a continuing vein I would then add WASABI to the list. Although they can also be grown in wet soil, the traditional and current large-scale (in Japan) cultivation of them involves running water flowing over the terrain and in many cases over the bottom parts of the plants as well.

Edited by huiray (log)

3 hours ago, Deryn said:

Bulrushes and cattails grow in water and almost all parts of these plants are edible.

http://honest-food.net/2011/04/03/bulrushes-and-flyway-fried-rice/

I forgot about the bullrushes - we had a lot of them at our frog pond (we ate a lot of frog legs) and one of my uncles would harvest the bullrush young shoots.  

The pond was made by widening a natural creek so the water was always fresh and clean fed by springs higher up the hills and with no cultivated land near it.  Watercress grew further up in the stream which was lined with rocks all the way.  There was another pond further down-about half a mile or so, wider and deeper, that was frequented by the ducks and geese.  They avoided the frog pond because hawks nested in one of the big maples near it.  

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett