• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

IndyRob

IndyRob

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 9:47 AM, adrianvm said:

The one recipe I ran across that really worked did so through the curious process of whipping cream and egg whites and then chilling the pre-aerated mix in the ice cream maker.  In other words, it made use of a huge overrun.  This ice cream was oddly airy and fluffy straight out of the machine.

I don't know anything about the sugars/non-sugars (back in the day, I think people would be saying "Um, so you're using two cups of heavy cream and you want to reduce the sugar?!??!), but since you said this, it reminded me of the way I've been making Ice Cream.  I had been wondering what happens if you just freeze whipped cream and found my answer with a YouTube search.  It turns out the simple addition of sweetened condensed milk can turn a simple whipped cream into a passable ice cream without a machine.  America's Test Kitchen has a video where they do this with the addition of chocolate, vanilla and coffee, while another woman simply whips the condensed milk with the cream to create a base into which she customizes individual cups with different flavors.  The result is simply frozen.  No machine.

I don't think the ingredients in sweetened condensed milk are going to meet your needs, but perhaps the mechanical aspects of the technique could offer a way to try several formulations at once.  Just whip the cream and divide and fold in other ingredients in separate containers and freeze individually.  I was able to make mint chocolate chip and chocolate ice cream out of one batch of cream.  Seems a perfect test bed for testing various ideas quickly.

IndyRob

IndyRob

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 9:47 AM, adrianvm said:

The one recipe I ran across that really worked did so through the curious process of whipping cream and egg whites and then chilling the pre-aerated mix in the ice cream maker.  In other words, it made use of a huge overrun.  This ice cream was oddly airy and fluffy straight out of the machine.

I don't know anything about the sugars/non-sugars (back in the day, I think people would be saying "Um, so you're using two cups of heavy cream and you want to reduce the sugar?!??!), but since you said this, it reminded me of the way I've been making Ice Cream.  I had been wondering what happens if you just freeze whipped cream and found my answer with a YouTube search.  It turns out the simple addition of sweetened condensed milk can turn a simple whipped cream into a passable ice cream without a machine.  America's Test Kitchen has a video where the do this with the addition of chocolate, vanilla and coffee, while another woman simply whips the condensed milk with the cream to create a base into which she customizes individual cups with different flavors.  The result is simply frozen.  No machine.

I don't think the ingredients in sweetened condensed milk are going to meet your needs, but perhaps the mechanical aspects of the technique could offer a way to try several formulations at once.  Just whip the cream and divide and fold in other ingredients in separate containers and freeze individually.  I was able to make mint chocolate chip and chocolate ice cream out of one batch of cream.  Seems a perfect test bed for testing various ideas quickly.