• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Deryn

Deryn

1 hour ago, GlorifiedRice said:

Agave is SUGAR!

And its BAD for you. Fructose is BAD for you.

Agave acts just like High Fructose Corn Syrup

I agree 100% with you, GlorifiedRice. I won't touch the stuff personally nor would I even/especially if I was diabetic. I was just asking a question. I realize adrianvm is trying to solve a specific problem - but it wasn't clear why or what he would not accept as an alternative. I was just trying to help but I am certainly no expert in either ice cream making or chemical sweeteners. I avoid both as much as possible.

I feel for anyone who cannot or should not have any kind of sweetener ... (and I know this does not help the OP .. my apologies) ... the only real solution I can offer in that case is that perhaps one needs to just get used to a non-sweet world. I try to avoid sugar, and try to go lightly on maple syrup (my one weakness when it comes to sweet things since I am not a honey aficionado either) but I definitely always avoid all sugar-substitutes. I rarely even eat fruit any more - and while I occasionally find myself eating conventionally or 'naturally' sweetened stuff (it can creep up on you if you inadvertently eat a bit without thinking - till you find yourself 'binging' on things that are sweet), I know (because I have done it umpteen times before) that it just takes about 4 days to wean myself off that kind of thing and then I no longer even crave sweetness. For that reason, I don't touch ice cream much either - maybe once a year I will have a cup or so on a very hot day (even though I have a great ice cream maker and make it for others). For me it is much harder to eliminate all starchy foods than sugars - though of course the body treats them the same way.

Anyway .. that is not helping with the original question. I am sorry that I do not have a good solution or the technical answers you need, adrianvm. I will watch the thread and hope others can answer.

Deryn

Deryn

1 hour ago, GlorifiedRice said:

Agave is SUGAR!

And its BAD for you. Fructose is BAD for you.

Agave acts just like High Fructose Corn Syrup

I agree 100% with you, GlorifiedRice. I won't touch the stuff personally nor would I even/especially if I was diabetic. I was just asking a question. I realize adrianvm is trying to solve a specific problem - but it wasn't clear why or what he would not accept as an alternative. I was just trying to help but I am certainly no expert in either ice cream making or chemical sweeteners. I avoid both as much as possible.

I feel for anyone who cannot or should not have any kind of sweetener ... (and I know this does not help the OP .. my apologies) ... the only real solution I can offer in that case is that perhaps one needs to just get used to a non-sweet world. I try to avoid sugar, and try to go lightly on maple syrup (my one weakness when it comes to sweet things since I am not a honey aficionado either) but I definitely always avoid all sugar-substitutes. I rarely even eat fruit any more - and while I occasionally find myself eating conventionally or 'naturally' sweetened stuff (it can creep up on you if you inadvertently eat a bit without thinking - till you find yourself 'binging' on things that are sweet), I know (because I have done it umpteen times before) that it just takes about 4 days to wean myself off that kind of thing and then I no longer even crave sweetness. For that reason, I don't touch ice cream much either - maybe once a year I will have a cup or so on a very hot day. For me it is much harder to eliminate all starchy foods than sugars - though of course the body treats them the same way.

Anyway .. that is not helping with the original question. I am sorry that I do not have a good solution or the technical answers you need, adrianvm. I will watch the thread and hope others can answer.