• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pre-batching honey into bourbon (for a Gold Rush)

Tzatziki

The one cocktail that it seems like many of my friends share a taste for is the Gold Rush - we all like it. So it would be nice to be able to make it relatively quickly whenever we happen to have guests. I'm wondering if it would be possible to pre-batch the honey simple syrup into the bourbon, so that I could just pour 2.75oz of that mix into the shaker and add 3/4 of lemon. Would that be pantry-safe? I'd imagine that the proof should be high enough (at a ratio of 2:3/4, that's ~60 proof) to keep it from being unsafe, but does anyone know if it kills the flavor of the honey?

Honey seems to be pretty stable on the shelf so it seems like it should remain so with the addition of the alcohol in the bourbon. Maybe refrigerate to be sure?

Only real way to know if the honey syrup keeps it flavor I suppose would be to try it and see!

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2