• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Savoury/Savory applications for Vanilla

liuzhou

I've just found a shop selling vanilla pods as opposed to extracts or worse. I've never used them, probably because I don't do sweet.

I'd still like to play with one or two, though. Any non sweet applications?

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

10 minutes ago, chefmd said:

How about adding it to mashed potatoes?

http://www.fmitk.com/vanilla-bean-and-mascarpone-mashed-potatoes/

And you can infuse vodka with lefy over bean (after seeds are scraped out).

btw, I am with you on not doing sweets.

Thanks for that. If I were to do it, I'd revert to the cheddar the author originally saw. Mascarpone screams "pudding" at me! Which I'm trying to avoid.

Click

Lobster with vanilla sauce.

I also have a big recollection of something Thomas Keller did with lobster and vanilla but I cannot find anything about it.   Perhaps it was my imagination.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Try adding a little to tahini, it's pretty good. Can be used in siniyah, maybe with lamb. Also with roasted cauliflower.

Never tried any of the followings, but you can try it with pan fried or baked fish (I'll pair it with butter, tomatoes, black pepper and lemon, maybe also chives or thyme).

Might be interesting in cacio e-pepe, or maybe carbonara. Vanilla works good with black pepper, and creamy applications feel natural. If you go for carbonara, using bacon instead of pancetta will add some smokiness that might pair well (or may not 9_9).

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Click

Lobster with vanilla sauce.

I also have a big recollection of something Thomas Keller did with lobster and vanilla but I cannot find anything about it.   Perhaps it was my imagination.

If only I could find lobster!

10 minutes ago, shain said:

Try adding a little to tahini, it's pretty good. Can be used in siniyah, maybe with lamb. Also with roasted cauliflower.

Never tried any of the followings, but you can try it with pan fried or baked fish (I'll pair it with butter, tomatoes, black pepper and lemon, maybe also chives or thyme).

Might be interesting in cacio e-pepe, or maybe carbonara. Vanilla works good with black pepper, and creamy applications feel natural. If you go for carbonara, using bacon instead of pancetta will add some smokiness that might pair well (or may not 9_9).

I make my own tahini, but not sure if I want vanilla in it.

The cauliflower and fish suggestions sound worth exploring. Thanks a lot.

• Like 1

I have had the Nielson-Massey Cookbook for years but have yet to try anything from it. It has recipes in it for vanilla in vinaigrettes, squash bisque, basil-tomato soup, vanilla wine sauce, teriyaki sauce, apricot mango bbq sauce, duck breast with tahitian pomegranate chutney and a few other savory preparations. The book says vanilla added to tomato sauces will cut the acidity and mellow the flavor. Pandan is often said to impart a vanilla like fragrance so if you know of any recipes calling for pandan, subbing vanilla could be nice to try.

• Like 1
"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

Decades ago, we had lunch at a lovely restaurant in Scottsdale (name forgotten). They had the absolutely BEST yeast rolls made with vanilla (but not sweet). I still crave them. I wish I had a recipe to offer, but have never found one. I don't know if you could just add vanilla to any old yeast bread/roll recipe and have it turn out like theirs or not.

• Like 2

Deb

Liberty, MO