• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Non Knead variations

AlaMoi

the classic no knead bread is started in a covered pot - many shapes used
qtrtspBaked_zps2aite8sv.jpg

but using the same technique, reducing the hydration about 5%, makes for really nice rounds (done on a stone)
DSC_2612_zpsgl3pcnwr.jpg

an upside down stainless bowl creates veddy nice crackle
DSC_2621_zpsjsa8fvlk.jpg

so why not a loaf?  this is a 9x5 pan; thinking I'll up the volume next try
DSC_4526_zpsj42dgt3x.jpg

crumb shot
DSC_4529_zps2t18lynv.jpg

• Like 9

following up on the kind interest in this thread, here's the latest on
"How to Break the Rules Without Really Trying"

the above loaf was 430g KA Bread flour + 345g hot water + 1 t DAY + 1 tsp salt
in a 9x5 loaf pan.  "Smart Living" - coated, which I buttered&floured just to be safe on the first try.
no need to grease/flour that brand - they are 'coated' and this second loaf released cleanly without the

grease/flour routine.

the first try didn't fill the pan to my heart's desire, so I upped the volumes:
645g flour + 518g hot water, same yeast&salt.

many descriptions of no-knead cite mixing to a shaggy dough; and I've seen questions: "whot?"
so, this is a shaggy dough - immediately after adding water & a good stir with a wooden spoon:

DSC_4600_zps3rb5svqz.jpg

the lid (aka dinner plate, in my case) goes on and after 16 hours at a cool 68'F rise looks like:

DSC_4637_zpsmymkytem.jpg

panned, rising prior to ovening.  when lacking a cover, invent...

pre-heated to 500'F; 20 minutes covered at 475'F; uncovered 10 minutes; reduced heat to 450' for another 10 minutes.

it popped out of the loaf pan immediately on leaving the oven - I could hear the crust crackling as it cooled.

DSC_4640_zpsjkediwqf.jpg

this volume fills makes for a nice size sandwich slice.  the smaller cross section, and the rounds, are

nice for a 'dinner bread' - but a bit skimpy for a sandwich.  max height here about 4.5 inches.

DSC_4644_zpsofybcm9c.jpg

and the crumb shot...

DSC_4646_zpsxrkzjkvo.jpg

Edited by AlaMoi
typos typos typos . . . sigh. (log)
  • Like 4