• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Shelby

Help Identifying China Pattern and Value

Semi-vitreous is tough stuff and withstands heat shock better than regular china or porcelain.

A lot of vitreous china was made for restaurant wear because it is so tough.  I have quite a lot of it and use it all the time.

I have almost a full set of the Knowles' "Country Life" pattern - Currier and Ives engravings blue and white - I think it's service for 12 - with a lot of extra cups and saucers.  The stuff is practically indestructible.

In the Northridge earthquake, I had it in a cabinet with glass shelves - shelves broke, dumped the china in the bottom and only lost a couple of plates one vegetable bowl and the lid to the sugar bowl.  Everything else survived without a chip.

• Like 4

It must be tough stuff, Andie,  to withstand that earthquake!  I've literally only found one chip in a bowl.  

• Like 1

That's so lovely that you have all the sets!  I went to Replacements Ltd online to find out what the replacement value would have been for all of my great grandparent's china, and then my mother's Raymond Loewe set. I could not believe all the patterns they had on there!!!!    It was a starting place, at least.    For the actual value, I found a few sites online that will give you an actual value, if you pay them. Otherwise, Etsy and Ebay gave me a few ideas, too. HTH!

• Like 1

congratulations for solving the puzzle.

what's most important is:

they are from your family

and

you are using them day to day

• Like 2

Over in the Soup topic, @Darienne complimented my dishes and to avoid going off topic over there, I'll reply here...

28 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Soup looks good.  Dishes look glorious.

Thank you!  They were my grandmother's wedding dishes.  A Staffordshire flow blue pattern named Watteau.  

IMG_6656.thumb.jpg.dc87b578da11be0a015b8aedafa58635.jpg

The shallow soup bowls are a nice size - not too big.  In addition to the bowls, there are dinner plates, luncheon plates and salad plates.  Sadly, just a few cups and saucers and a number of serving pieces.  

I wish I had more of these dishes but I'll enjoy the ones I have!

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

The Staffordshire is worth some dollars, the other set is worth sentimental value.

The other set does indeed look like home paint pottery - tons of it around, and not very desirable in today's market.

Edited by Cronker (log)