• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do you keep on top of

This was answered elsewhere.

I read every guidebook and magazine possible, and get a lot of feedback from colleagues and friends

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

Hi fresh-a,

First, thanks for taking the time to respond to all these queries. Fascinating reading.

As you mentioned, the question about where to look has been posed before. BUT, maybe what people are looking for, and certainly what I'm looking for, is to know which publications are better, more accurate, more timely, less biased, etc.

For instance, I used to check out the Pariscope each week. I switched to Figaroscope and currently have the opinion it's one of the better weekly publications on what's happening across a wide range of food topics.

So, to be more precise, if possible, do you have a favorite/preferred:

weekly guide, (any of the Scopes?)

magazine, (Le Gourmande, Paris Notes?)

guidebook, etc? (Michelin, Pudlo?)

Thanks for taking the time to elaborate. For the average person living in Paris, we can't read everything and we don't have access to a Concierge! :biggrin:

The Figaroscope is excellent.. the Time Out section of Pariscope is normally on the money, I read mostly the Michelin Guide and Zagat for ease of use, and , for the most part, I don't like any of the French gourmet magazines, however Elle a Table has had some good articles in the past. I like Gourmet and Bon Appetit, but they rarely have articles on Paris (To their respective editors: I AM available for any future articles you may want me to write!!!), and the Patricia Wells website is pretty good:

Patricia Wells

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog