• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

pbear

pbear

10 hours ago, Porthos said:

I was not pleased woth the outcome. Not mushy exactly, but losing the resistance and texture of beef. Flavor was just ok but I don't think I seasoned it very well.

That's why we do trials.  It takes a little time to dial in what works for you and sometimes the answer is conventional.  For example, I don't like low temp steak, nor seafood cooked to pasteurization.  Both of those I cook conventionally.

ETA: I do like seafood cooked very low temp, but that generally only can be done safely with stuff that's been frozen to kill parasites.

pbear

pbear

10 hours ago, Porthos said:

I was not pleased woth the outcome. Not mushy exactly, but losing the resistance and texture of beef. Flavor was just ok but I don't think I seasoned it very well.

That's why we do trials.  It takes a little time to dial in what works for you and sometimes the answer is conventional.  For example, I don't like low temp steak, nor seafood cooked to pasteurization.  Both of those I cook conventionally.