• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cannabis Cuisine

liuzhou

We weren't nearly so sophisticated but back in the late 70's, some friends baked me a rather interesting spinach and marijuana quiche for my 30th birthday. I remember it as being very good but basically tasting like a good spinach quiche. The party was quite a lot of fun. (I'm sure the statute of limitations has run out, so please don't arrest me.)

• Like 7

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

I always liked the taste of the seeds. They are good raw, and sort of like pine nuts but totally different. They might have even more flavor when roasted, but I never tried it.

Back in the 70's my first husband and I lived with his late dad briefly. The dad, who was in his late 50's, found some seeds on the floor, and we thought he'd be angry. He said, "We used to feed these to the birds in the old country (Greece). Made them sing." xD

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

Many, many years ago, there was an Indian restaurant in Glasgow, Scotland, near the university district, which had a legendary off-menu dish known to insiders as "the special". You had to order with a wink.

This was rumoured to be laden with the best Pakistani black. Whether it did or not was an oft debated topic. I did eat it once and left with a happy glow, but that could have been the chillies or the several beers with which the meal was washed down.

I'm sure the place is long gone (this was back when the Beatles were still a going affair) and I forget the name of the restaurant, but could lead you to where it was with my eyes shut, despite having left Glasgow over 40 years go.

• Like 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

44 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I always liked the taste of the seeds. They are good raw, and sort of like pine nuts but totally different. They might have even more flavor when roasted, but I never tried it.

Back in the 70's my first husband and I lived with his late dad briefly. The dad, who was in his late 50's, found some seeds on the floor, and we thought he'd be angry. He said, "We used to feed these to the birds in the old country (Greece). Made them sing." xD

For many years, in Britain, bird seed, as sold in pet shops etc, contained hemp seed. Many a desperate soul tried to germinate it.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

the seeds are a common salted snack in Iran.   the seeds come from the hemp industry which makes rope, matts  etc.

no buzz at all in the seeds Im told, from either type of plant.

• Like 1

In Seattle, the edibles market is exploding. A lot of confections but also syrups to mix into drinks and oils to cook with. I've heard about a cannabis food truck but not sure if it came to fruition. Personally, though I do consume it frequently in various forms and enjoyed "happy pizza" in Cambodia, I'd avoid a multi course meal of cannabis. Eating it gives you so much less control over how and when it hits you and how much you've consumed. I hope they make sure everyone has a safe ride home, and the next day off! 

• Like 2

On 5/1/2016 at 11:15 AM, pastrygirl said:

In Seattle, the edibles market is exploding. A lot of confections but also syrups to mix into drinks and oils to cook with. I've heard about a cannabis food truck but not sure if it came to fruition. Personally, though I do consume it frequently in various forms and enjoyed "happy pizza" in Cambodia, I'd avoid a multi course meal of cannabis. Eating it gives you so much less control over how and when it hits you and how much you've consumed. I hope they make sure everyone has a safe ride home, and the next day off! 

I have indulged (experimentally, of course, as a "foodie") in edibles. Everything from coffee beans to cannabutter.

What pastrygirl said - you just gotta be careful. Stuff can hit like a ton of bricks - this ain't your mommy's or daddy's weed. Great for pain relief.

And of course, why drive?

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

A friend went to Denver and brought back some cannabis "gummies." Odd flavor, familiar buzz. 

I discovered the currently available black market "weed" (it is, I've learned, no longer "dope" and certainly not "grass") is in fact, NOT the same stuff of which I was fond in the 70s. Got me quite inebriated, quite quickly. Decided perhaps I'd stick to single malt Scotch.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 minute ago, kayb said:

I discovered the currently available black market "weed" (it is, I've learned, no longer "dope" and certainly not "grass") is in fact, NOT the same stuff of which I was fond in the 70s. Got me quite inebriated, quite quickly.

An interesting thing about legalization is all the info.  Everything is  analyzed and labeled, lots of strains at 20% or higher THC.  Strong stuff!

• Like 3

A lot of the modern stuff is hydroponic.  But even if you grow in soil, there are tons of fertilizer additives you can use to increase flavor or aromatics in veggies or herbs, but increases potency of cannibis also.  Most of these additives temporarily shock the plant into thinking it's dying, so it puts out tons of fruit or flowers, then you take the additive away, and give it tons of nutrient so they all get to maturity.  Not only does it increase flavor but it also greatly increases yield.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

A lot of the modern stuff is hydroponic.  But even if you grow in soil, there are tons of fertilizer additives you can use to increase flavor or aromatics in veggies or herbs, but increases potency of cannibis also.  Most of these additives temporarily shock the plant into thinking it's dying, so it puts out tons of fruit or flowers, then you take the additive away, and give it tons of nutrient so they all get to maturity.  Not only does it increase flavor but it also greatly increases yield.

A man who clearly knows what he is talking about!

If it was legal, I would certainly convert a 2nd bedroom into a grow room - it would pay for itself and then some... but right now, in New York State, it's certainly not legal and while, chances are, I would never get caught, I'd rather not wind up in jail for any length of time. I'd be someone's bitch in about 20 minutes.  But, I do love growing herbs and veggies hydroponically, and the pot growers are on the forefront of the technology!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Ah the 70s.  Curiously I got the cooking bug during an organic chemistry lab.  "This plus this equals this".

Didn't hurt that our female lab instructor use to party at our apartment 

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)

• 2 years later...

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/state-liquor-and-cannabis-board-to-reevaluate-marijuana-edibles-will-crack-down-on-products-that-might-appeal-to-kids/

Now WA state might wipe out much of the sweet edibles market because they think it's too appealing to kids - how do you make any cookie, candy, or snack not appealing to kids?  We'll end up with the only edibles being kale chips and 95% dark chocolate 😆

crazy...

Where are edibles sold?  I assume you can't just buy them in the supermarket, but have to be a specialty store, like the equivalent of a liquor store?  In which case, how would kids get in there to make the purchases... and if they're worried about kids eating their parents' edibles, isn't it up to the parents to make sure the kids can't get at it?  Like a locked liquor cabinet....

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, KennethT said:

crazy...

Where are edibles sold?  I assume you can't just buy them in the supermarket, but have to be a specialty store, like the equivalent of a liquor store?  In which case, how would kids get in there to make the purchases... and if they're worried about kids eating their parents' edibles, isn't it up to the parents to make sure the kids can't get at it?  Like a locked liquor cabinet....

Exactly!  They are only sold in the limited number of cannabis stores (I believe 300 across the state), which are 21+ and only located a certain distance away from parks and schools.  I know kids will get into everything, but that's why you keep stuff like liquor, cleaning supplies, poison, prescription meds, OTC meds, and your edibles away from them.  And is a kid really not going to eat a piece of chocolate that they find because it's not colorful?   I think if a kid is sneaking treats they're going to scarf down whatever they find. 

Edited by pastrygirl (log)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

We'll end up with the only edibles being kale chips and 95% dark chocolate 😆

And that’s a bad thing? I can’t think of anything that might limit consumption better than that for children or adults.

• Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 5/7/2016 at 12:56 PM, KennethT said:

If it was legal, I would certainly convert a 2nd bedroom into a grow room - it would pay for itself and then some... but right now, in New York State, it's certainly not legal and while, chances are, I would never get caught, I'd rather not wind up in jail for any length of time. I'd be someone's bitch in about 20 minutes.  But, I do love growing herbs and veggies hydroponically, and the pot growers are on the forefront of the technology!

You must not be right in the city. No one I know in NYC has a spare room of any kind, let alone for growing weed.

• Like 1