• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sweet Red Potatoes?!

natasha1270

Yesterday I made my usual red potato salad but got an unwelcome surprise when I tasted the final product - it had a really strange sweetness to it. After, I tasted all my regular ingredients and they were the same. The only thing I could narrow it down to was the potatoes. I am used to sometimes the red potatoes being waxy but have never come across this sweetness variant.

I still have a few pounds of the red potatoes left uncooked. Is there anything I can do to counter this when cooking the rest of them or suggestions to make the most of the mild sweetness of these potatoes?

Thanks! 

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

Potatoes can turn sweet if stored too cold.

See more here.

• Like 4

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Thanks so much @DiggingDogFarm! That's great to know if I leave them for a while some of the sugars will turn back to starch. I picked this bag of potatoes at a store I don't usually shop at and will make sure to get them from my regular one next time or at least wait awhile before using them.

• Like 1
"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

Potato chips would be tasty, at least for me. Also roasting the potatoes in olive oil with a good dose of kosher salt and maybe some rosemary would also be good. I mean, we roast other sweet-ish vegetables, like sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts, etc.

• Like 1