• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bones in fish: Can you hack em?

8 hours ago, Franci said:

This bring to my mind a trip we had in Istanbul where my (chinese) husband couldn't resist the smell of grilled mackerel and got a small mackerel full with bones in between bread. Ah, ah, he tried very hard and couldn't eat it!

Talking about a chinese fried fish dish with little bones that I LOVE, my mother in law, shanghainese, used to cook all the time. I think it's Xun Yu ( 上海茉莉花茶熏魚 but I copied on Internet, my Mandarin is like baby level :-)))

I think there was another recipe with scabbard fish but I don't know the name, actually if anybody could help me finding the possible recipe would be great. My mother in law English is not that great and nobody in the family (my son included) is patient enough to translate for me (or they lack the vocabulary in english)

Just going by the name you provide, it is Jasmine Tea Smoked Fish. 'Xun yu' is 'smoked fish'. There are various recipes on the internet; perhaps one matching your M-I-L's version.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

I very much doubt it. They wouldn't get away with it.

I also doubt they would get away with it.

I also believe they're too oblivious, self absorbed, self righteous (whatever fits) not to try.

On an unrelated subject kudos to your blog. Started reading it a few weeks ago.

Cheers.

• Like 1

I know it's stew. What KIND of stew?