• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Carbonated cocktail question

Progress bar

In looking into carbonated cocktails, I often see bartenders use clarified citrus juices for carbonated cocktails to add acidity. I was reading David Arnold's liquid intelligence and he gives formulations for creating the same acid profile with pure dilute acids for each of the types of citrus used. My question lies in why bartenders choose to go through the more tedious process of clarifying citrus juices when the same acid profile could be obtained from mixed dilute acid solutions. This avoids the possible difficulties that come with clarifying and juice "dying". Another option as opposed to pure acid would be to use a combination of acid solutions and citrus oils. Either way these would seem easier than the clarifying route. If someone could explain these choices I'd be much appreciative.