• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Sous Vide Circulator (Part 3)

DanM

My (bluetooth connected) Anova is working properly, in that it is at the temperature I set, and the app is counting down the time, but the display on the device itself just shows the temperature, rather than switching back and forth between the temperature and the cook time left. Can someone tell me what I need to do to get this working again? TIA

58 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

My (bluetooth connected) Anova is working properly, in that it is at the temperature I set, and the app is counting down the time, but the display on the device itself just shows the temperature, rather than switching back and forth between the temperature and the cook time left. Can someone tell me what I need to do to get this working again? TIA

Okay, I played around with it some and this is what I found:  if I set the time and temp on the device, the app acknowledges it and asks me to name the recipe. The problem seems to happen when I begin the cooking from the named recipe on the app.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 2:26 AM, Yiannos said:

It is the former, I have the old model with that firmware too and have done the Thermoworks experiment. Works just like calibrating an oven with that feature, set for your desired temp, measure actual temp with an external thermometer, and then use the temperature adjustment on the calibration screen to correct any deviation.

Sorry for the delay but I am finally getting around to making the offset adjustment.  Unfortunately the temperature adjustment on the calibration screen seems to affect the bath temperature not at all!  Also the adjustment doesn't stick.  If I power off and on to get back to the adjustment screen there is no offset shown.

Perhaps there is more to it than I know.  Maybe I will have to contact anova.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 5/24/2018 at 11:47 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

For fun I also tried the Thermapen MK4 while anovaing my eggs.  It read the bath as 55.1C.  While my new Thermoworks waterproof with penetration probe read the bath as 54.9-55.0.

It seems to me that you are focusing quite a bit on the exact temperature of your bath as measured by various instruments, but are not talking about the results in terms of the resultant food.

Is there a reason we should care about a 0.1-0.2 degree variance?

34 minutes ago, IndyRob said:

It seems to me that you are focusing quite a bit on the exact temperature of your bath as measured by various instruments, but are not talking about the results in terms of the resultant food.

Is there a reason we should care about a 0.1-0.2 degree variance?

Pasteurizing eggs.

13 minutes ago, IndyRob said:

You're going to walk that tightrope with a circulator you can buy off the shelf at Target?

For what I spent on the reference thermometer I could have purchased a laboratory anova...and I may yet.

From what I see on the chart on p12 of this old paper, it looks like a change in 0.2°F (roughly 0.1°C) corresponds with a 10% change in time. 

So if you thought your circulator might be off by a fraction of a degree you could just add 20% to the holding time.

Or just accept that pasteurization standards are kind of arbitrary to begin with (who said that log 6.5 reduction is safe, but log 5 isn't? This is without even knowing the starring bacterial colony size). If you're getting inspected in a professional kitchen, that's a different story.

Notes from the underbelly

30 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

From what I see on the chart on p12 of this old paper, it looks like a change in 0.2°F (roughly 0.1°C) corresponds with a 10% change in time. 

So if you thought your circulator might be off by a fraction of a degree you could just add 20% to the holding time.

Or just accept that pasteurization standards are kind of arbitrary to begin with (who said that log 6.5 reduction is safe, but log 5 isn't? This is without even knowing the starring bacterial colony size). If you're getting inspected in a professional kitchen, that's a different story.

Point is I don't want to coagulate my eggs any more than absolutely necessary.

I haven't experimented much with egg pasteurizing times/temps. Do you find that a 20 or 30% time difference influences texture or function?

Semi-relatedly, I'm curious to know how the 6.5D standard for pasteurization was arrived at. Some of these standards came about through a lot of rigor, while others just seem to be pulled out of thin air.

Edited to add: I'd also be curious to know what Anova has to say about the differences between the home and the lab circulator. I assume the lab version is more robust and reliable, but don't know if it would stay in calibration significantly longer. It might be assumed that in a lab environment, people have the tools and wits to calibrate stuff. The status of that circulator is also a bit of a mystery. It looks like such a nice unit and a great a value. And it's sometimes been on the Anova Culinary site and sometimes not. It's usually on the Anova scientific site. I don't understand how these companies are related to each other anymore, now that Electrolux has bought the culinary division.

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Notes from the underbelly

On 5/27/2018 at 12:52 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have not looked into basal thermometers because I seldom cook humans...

I sense a new recipe thread coming...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The "Long Pork Primer?"

"Better Humans and Gardens Cookbook"?

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

3 hours ago, chromedome said:

The "Long Pork Primer?"

As Cook Islanders say:  "My grandfather ate your grandfather."

The Hawai'ians are more poetically indirect; they say:  "Until the fat runs."

A sealed earth oven (imu) is very close to being the prototype SV cooker.  Lacks the wi-fi, though...

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 2:26 AM, Yiannos said:

It is the former, I have the old model with that firmware too and have done the Thermoworks experiment. Works just like calibrating an oven with that feature, set for your desired temp, measure actual temp with an external thermometer, and then use the temperature adjustment on the calibration screen to correct any deviation.

I just found this on the anova site:

"If your thermometer reads lower than the system use the minus sign. If your thermometer reads higher than the system use the plus sign. Press Check to accept or X to exit without saving."

What this means is that I had it backwards!  I was using the minus sign to try to make the bath cooler.  I have to say, if true, this is counterintuitive.

• Like 1

Counterintuitive but true, and it works!  My anova (with no calibration offset) now measures between 55.02 and 55.04 when set to 55.0.

Joy.

• Like 1

by thermometer : does Anova mean your independent thermometer's read of the water temp

at equilibrium ?

and ' system '  meaning the Anova's digital temp for that water's equilibrium temp ?

56 minutes ago, rotuts said:

by thermometer : does Anova mean your independent thermometer's read of the water temp

at equilibrium ?

and ' system '  meaning the Anova's digital temp for that water's equilibrium temp ?

Yes...I believe.

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I just found this on the anova site:

"If your thermometer reads lower than the system use the minus sign. If your thermometer reads higher than the system use the plus sign. Press Check to accept or X to exit without saving."

What this means is that I had it backwards!  I was using the minus sign to try to make the bath cooler.  I have to say, if true, this is counterintuitive.

Wow that is super counter-intuitive, I didn't mess with it a ton as the temp matched my thermometer, sorry I got it backwards. I'm happy you got it figured out!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I just got an e-mail from Anova.  The current model is on sale for $109.00

That seems like more than I paid when I bought mine, several years ago. Do you know the usual rate for this model?

Edit: Maybe I paid more, like $129...

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@donk79

cheers

Id look very very carefully at the Nano

at any price

before you chose to Plunge in

it has some limitations on the thickness of the containers it might fit.

its been discussed here.

the power is lower , the weight of the Gizmo is lighter 

but I don't really see its purpose

some here have said the same

look for an Anova ( Big Boy ) on-line on sale for mayhbe3 less than 90 usd

you will not be disappointed

the Nano I feel is an Anova Mistake