• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Sous Vide Circulator (Part 3)

DanM

Can you explain how you use RS232? 

What software would you use?

In the pictures there's also what looks like a USB port and some other digital connector (looks almost like midi). I sent a note to customer service to find out the story.

Edited to add: I found the manual, which answers some of these questions.

There's some interesting stuff about what fluids to circulate at different temperature ranges, including what kinds of water. The water details probably apply to all circulators, but the consumer companies aren't talking about them. 

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Notes from the underbelly

3 hours ago, paulraphael said:

Can you explain how you use RS232? 

What software would you use?

In a past career I used to write industrial process control software for a living.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Interesting.  From this page:

Anova Scientific (a division of Chemyx, Inc.) is a US based corporation that manufactures a wide range of temperature control products for laboratory and process worldwide. Our products includes: water bath system, refrigerated circulators, heating circulators, chillers, heat exchangers, immersion circulators and custom temperature control equipment.

Since laboratory equip (and its required precision) commands a premium price, it seems reasonable that they should attempt to capitalize on it.  When I was working in labs,  these prices would have been bargains for immersion circulators. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Since laboratory equip (and its required precision) commands a premium price, it seems reasonable that they should attempt to capitalize on it.  When I was working in labs,  these prices would have been bargains for immersion circulators. 

Lab equipment is highly marked up too. Paid for with govt grants in large part. When I was in that life I couldn't believe what AH Thomas charged for common stuff with a scientific use. ..e.g. A binder clip that cost 0.05 in a stationary store was $5.00when renamed "chromatography clip"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

At $450, it's a bit over double the price of most home circulators. But it's half the price of the Polyscience ones, and half its previous price. I'd imagine this would be attractive to restaurants, or to someone who uses their circulator to death. I'd also be interested in the robustness if I did more multiday cooking. It would be a major drag to have a circulator die 3 days into a 4 day cook while I'm out all day.

Notes from the underbelly

On 2/25/2018 at 8:30 AM, blue_dolphin said:

Indeed.

But then again I would expect some heavy duty equipment, if I use it every day, combined with the precision you mentioned. Talk about reproducibility. When I was working in a lab, most of the sophisticated equipment was still cheap compared to the substances I was working with ...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The strain relief has broken on my Anova original version power cord.  I assume the cord is a generic part, easily obtainable from amazon.  Before I go looking does anyone have a suggestion?

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The strain relief has broken on my Anova original version power cord.  I assume the cord is a generic part, easily obtainable from amazon.  Before I go looking does anyone have a suggestion?

Maybe email anova?

5 hours ago, gfweb said:

Maybe email anova?

If they sell the cord as a part it is probably more expensive than from amazon.  I was thinking it might be rude to contact them and ask where to get an equivalent to their part.

3 minutes ago, gfweb said:

@JoNorvelleWalker Say you asking for a friend

IIRC it looks like a computer cord. You might try one you have laying around

I turned my head and immediately saw a brand new one on the bed behind me -- what one friend has named the magic bed, so called for being a source of any computer related cable.

• Like 1

The cord I found will work but it is too long to be ideal.  I ordered a 2 foot cord from amazon.  Which should be just perfect for where I normally use the anova.  Of course the cord was an add in item so I had to buy new underwear.

• 4 weeks later...

I have two Anova's :

A bluetooth and a WiFi.

both purchased at a fine sale price.

I also have a SousVideMagic

from Canada  a long time ago.

it still does mighty fine service on my very large cooks

https://freshmealssolutions.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=72&Itemid=100087

a bit rusty but fine

back to Anova :

I used the Anova bluetooth for an overnight cook . in one of my Coleman coolers

I marked the min line w a Sharpie

and have added water above that.

that cook dropped the water below the min line

as I didn't think too clearly as the ColemanCoolers are not sealed.

added water and OK

then I used that same Anova for a re-heat and heard some noise while the water was above the

sharpie line.  added more water , noise went away

tonights dinner is going to be an especially delicious TB  that had been smoked after the SV

and Im re-therming it in a smaller Cooler , we water above the sharpie line on the same Anova

about 1/4 "

the Anova beeped too many times and did not keep the temp I asked for

I was above about as much as 4 degrees

I added more water so Im now up at least 1 or maybe 1.5 "  from the MinSharpie

seems to be working fine

I can't of course say what sort of damage the A' suffered for several hours below the min

but something sure happen and it seems to be cured for a while w more water  1.5 " above the MIn

Ill keep and eye on Target , as I have the RedCard

( Free Shipping !  5 % off ! why give Amazon 100 $$ etc )

and get another Anova @ 99 USD   ( - 5 % )

whyy ?

the Anova and my SV system are (?) vs is (?) Vital to me.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

@kayb

thanks

It still seem to be working well if I keep the water  1.5 " above MIN :

AnovaMark.thumb.jpg.eb4c0ec73b0c2e810ae82c8e5f3cbb54.jpg

the sharpie mark is the lower black mark

works fine above this mark

Im not , nor will ever be a " prime member "

I did buy a few  ( count your fingers and toes , that's about it )

AMZN shares   for long term

JB didn't appreciate it and did not call me on my Speed Dial w a free lifetime Prime

as I now own  (  infinitesimal amounts )  of the company

a bit cheeky , Id say.

so I do have AnovaWifi  on reserve.

cheers and thanks for your help !

I haven't ever thought much about it, but I ALWAYS fill to just below the max line every time I use my circulators.

this allows for evaporation AND helps ensure the bags stay submerged completely

Edited by weedy (log)

@weedy

good points

in my case I did an over night cook

with out sufficient protection for evaporation.

Ill correct that in the future.

the inters in question were not sufficient to use my Big Rig 

up stairs w the SousVideMagic

My usual vessel for SV is a 3-gallon plastic food-grade bucket. When I fill it to near the top, it's just below the black plastic top portion of the Anova. I've never had an overnight cook evaporate that far (though, when I was going to be gone all day and late into the evening, I've covered the bucket with plastic wrap). 

For some reason, it seems when I SV small enough quantities of something that I use a shallower vessel (say a Dutch oven or small stock pot), it's not for that long a period, so evap doesn't seem to be a problem.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com