• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What can I do with cod?

Orbit

Dress them up and walk them around town on a leash?

Oh, wait. You probably want to cook and eat them. In that case, a more specific question would be helpful. Are you looking for a particular cooking method? (I'm guessing not, because that's very straightforward and there's tons of info on the 'net about that.) A suitable sauce/salsa? Appropriate accompaniments? Or...?

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Seeing as you are in NM the obvious suggestion is fish tacos! When I lived in NM (60's and early 70's) we never ate fish; it was rarely if ever fresh, if sold at all. Back then no one ever heard of Baja tacos, but I'm sure you have the rest of the fixins close at hand. Cod is just right for fish tacos, whether you bbq it or batter it first.

• Like 2

Just made something from Thomas Keller's "deconstructed chowder" - cod cakes with littleneck clams.  Reduction from the clam liquor, cream, reduce.  Parsley oil:

cod cakes and clams.JPG

Or cod, with a nice shellfish saffron sauce - this type of combo is something I like a lot (here, it's Mediterranean sea bass):

Sea Bass Millefeuille.JPG

Alain Ducasse has a phenomenal, but incredibly involved, recipe from his Flavors of France.  Basically a surf and turf with several stocks, red wine, cod, wild mushrooms, clams, beans.  Maybe more, haven't made it in a long time.

• Like 1

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

Yes, I am partial to the Italian approach of letting wonderful fresh ingredients shine through in a dish with a few unobtrusive ingredients to enhance it. I would certainly break out my fish grilling flat handled basket for delicate cod through. Your dish sounds very appealing, @Orbit.

> ^ . . ^ <

I commercial fished for Spring salmon/halibut/cod/rock cod/prawns/Dungeness crab off BC's West coast for about 25 years.

I owned the boat and I did all the cooking because I wanted to eat well made food.

Here's a favorite for cooking cod:

For two hungry people:

Warm 2 cups of whole milk in a pot. Don't boil it.

Into a large fry pan over low-medium heat add 2T butter>1/2 fine sliced fresh fennel bulb> fine chop 2T fennel fronds> the gloves of 1 garlic bulb crushed and rough chopped>1t BTB lobster flavor base>1 peeled fine chopped shallot. Add a couple of T of water. Cover and slow saute until the fennel/garlic/shallots are soft. Sprinkle on 1T all purpose flour. The floor and butter combine to make a roux which prevents the milk from splitting. Stir the flour in and let it cook for a couple of minutes. Now add the warm milf and stir to combine.

At this point you can add any fresh seafood you want to. Just don't overcook it.

For cod I cut 2-3 C of fresh fillets into about 3" pieces. Lay them into the milk. Turn the heat to low and cover. Cooking the cod to perfection will only take a couple of minutes. I serve the cod with creamy mashed potatoes and some blanched veg. 

On each plate I put a few 1/4" slices of fresh lemon which I cut in half like half-moon shapes. It easy to use your fork to mash the lemon pieces so add to the cod. I like to cut a small piece of the lemon and eat it too.

• Like 2