• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Norman Love Lemon Bar Bonbon

Bentley

I've been looking at Norman Love's chocolates and I can figure out how to do the designs for just about all of them.  The Lemon Bar Bon Bon has me stumped.  Anyone have any ideas on how he achieves the look of that one?  My initial thought was that he sprayed in the yellow, then used a tool (sponge-tip or q-tip to remove some of the color, then sprayed in white. I could not replicate the technique, as I could never remove the color cleanly enough or remove color precisely enough to create the thinner lines. It was also extremely time consuming - not efficient for large scale production.   Here is a screenshot taken from Norm Love's website (www.normanloveconfections.com).

Screen_Shot_2016_04_26_at_9_53_17_AM.png  

He's put a big drop of white in the bottom - dragged a tool through it to get the circular lines - then sprayed the yellow in the mold behind the white.

• Like 5

IMG_2039.jpg

So put a couple of drops of white and dragged my clay tool through it. Couldn't be bothered to pull out the airbrush so just molded with dark behind.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Bentley said:

Very nice Kerry.  I have an opening on my staff for a dropper and dragger if you'd like to apply :)

Can you show me what that clay tool looks like?

Think I'll hang on to my day job!

Clay tool like the one on the right in the picture here.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update:  I went to a Norman Love chocolate class this evening. The white swirl is done with a finger. Apparently if you use the right pressure and speed, you will get the thin lines on each side of the finger rather than a wide brush of color.   Never would've guessed.

He would not divulge how they do the bonbons from the Black series. :)

Edited by Bentley (log)
  • Like 1