• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pineapple plants at Walmart?

A little over 20 years ago I spent a few days on Oahu.  One of those days I flew over to Hawaii and took a bus tour.  When the bus passed a pineapple field the driver told us that the plant has 4 cycles per season.  The first batch of pineapples they produce are the sweetest and most all of those stay in Hawaii while the second crop is a little less sweet and those are mostly exported.  The third and fourth crops get canned into pineapple rings and crushed pineapple.  I don't know how accurate his information was or if it is still valid after all these years, but that is what he told us.  A few days ago Cassie texted me that she saw some pineapple plants for sale here in Kansas City. For outside? I asked. Yes she said.  Charlie and Cassie are separated, I am sad to say and she no longer lives with us but I got one just for the heck of it. Pineapple's growing zones are 9 to 11 and our growing zone is 6 so they definitely are not for outside all year around and I doubt they will do well as indoor plants for half the year but it will be fun to see how this one does during our regular growing season.

DSCN3451%201_zpsxnuyqbv4.jpg

DSCN3452_zpshekbcztg.jpg

• Like 8

I have never seen pineapple plants sold here, however, as I learned when I was a kid, growing a plant indoors from the top of a purchased pineapple is easy. Never left one long enough though to see if a baby pineapple would emerge eventually. Mom always made us chuck it once the experiment (just producing extra greenery and roots) was 'completed'.

This article shows that from a pineapple top it is actually possible to produce more than just green tops - growing pineapples from a pineapple top. If I grow another it will definitely have to live indoors most, if not all, of the year, mind you. With enough light and heat, I think it should work. More research may be required about that though.

Let us know about the sweet first crop when you harvest, please, Norm.

• Like 1

If you want to get serious about tropical & sub-tropical fruit, you just need a little greenhouse :)  My brother built one out of old storm windows, it's maybe 5' x 4' x 4' and full of happy, fruiting citrus plants, including my yuzu that I keep trying to kill when I am allowed to take it back home.  We're in Seattle, zone 5.

• Like 1

I've been thinking about getting a Meyer lemon tree (also in zone 6).  Supposedly, it can live in a pot and winter indoors if it has enough light (an obstacle I'd have to overcome).  But I have a perfect spot right near a patio for the summer.

Regarding the Everclear - Brilliant!  That man clearly has an auspicious future.  Whether it's one that should be closely monitored by the proper authorities is a question I'll leave to others. :wink:

Years ago we used to be able to buy dwarf citrus trees to grow indoors in Canada - and I did and they did well even in very cold areas if one tended to them properly and ensured they had a good sunny spot. However, since I returned to Canada a few years ago I have not been able to find a source for same up here any more. I think there have been regulations prohibiting imports put in place. I hope they lighten up on those in the coming years (seeds are now allowed across the border I understand so things 'can' change).

I do know that if one is patient one actually can grow citrus plants from seeds found in a (probably organic) fruit but I am not sure I have the fortitude for that endeavour. It is a lot of work to get to the actual germination 'seed' part inside what we call the 'seed' - and it must be done with care I gather, and there is a high failure rate - but it can be done. I lost the link but I found a guy once who had a blog (and Youtube videos) of an upstairs bedroom where he kept many, many overgrown plants of all types that he planted after carefully harvesting the seeds - and they actually produced. He had citrus of all kinds and avocadoes and pineapples - you name it.

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 1

Oranges grown indoors seem to remain small (but are ideal for using in drinks!). It is probably more reasonable to plant kumquats. I grew lemons and limes that actually got to a reasonable size however - though admittedly not as large as supermarket lemons.

• Like 1

I have a Meyer lemon, from Stark Brothers, that had 2 lemons the first year, and they have been increasing in number every year.  They are full sized lemons.  A side benefit is the fragrance of the blossoms.

I am in Missouri, and mine is about ready to make the sojourn from the sunny south window of the sunroom to the back yard.

• Like 1
sparrowgrass