• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Another frozen food recall, this time in U.S.

andiesenji

"UPDATED: Frozen veggies recalled in U.S., Canada for listeria

By News Desk | April 22, 2016

Fifteen frozen organic vegetable products distributed to retailers in at least 35 states and four Canadian provinces are under voluntary recall because of potential contamination with listeria monocytogenes.

CRF Frozen Foods of Pasco, WA, posted the recall Friday because random samples of frozen organic peas and corn tested by Ohio health officials returned positive results for the foodborne pathogen."

Here's the LINK to the complete article.

I drove down to the senior center a bit ago to post this prominently on the bulletin board.

A lot of seniors in this area of the Antelope Valley,  have frozen foods delivered by Schwans  home delivery.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Thanks for the warning, Andie.

I can understand why these contaminations are happening but it is sad. I DO tend to buy organic if I can and, in winter, much of it is necessarily frozen. I guess the only thing I can do from now on is grow my own. I think I may just set up a large indoor garden for next winter. I have 2 good sized Veg-Trugs I have not yet bothered to set up outside (plus several smaller 'grow light' containers). Methinks they may just go in the living room or basement later this summer to be planted, perhaps for a Christmas harvest. Excess can be freeze-dried.

Sad not to be able to trust any purchased produce product, even those one would think should be the 'cleanest'.

• Like 1

I found another update on that sight from adiesenjie's link. This one affects people in my area. Seems onions are the problem with this one, and since I despise frozen onions, and always use fresh, I'm not affected. I do shop at Food Lion and buy Pictsweet frozen vegetables frequently. They are premium quality.

Some of the commenters have their tinfoil hats on about Monsanto and others who have a huge financial interest in spraying our food supply with more and more pesticides perhaps committing industrial sabotage against organic competition. I'm not breaking out my tinfoil hat quite yet, but it is making me wonder.

> ^ . . ^ <

Costco is now also recalling Organic by Nature Frozen Peas in Canada. Headline only so far this morning so not sure if the reasons are similar to the previous Nature's Touch fruit recall or not - the areas it applies to.

eta: I got the name of the company wrong - it is not Nature's Touch but Organic by Nature.

update: Headline has now disappeared from the cbc news site where I first saw it. Not showing any such 'recall' (as yet, if it ever will) on the Costco.ca site either. Very strange. Won't delete this notice though right now just in case there is just a delay in publication.

I am not a Monsanto fan but it seems to me that this type of recall - for contamination that causes disease - is probably more related to 'unsanitary' conditions in the fields (absence of bathrooms for the pickers in other words) than to anything about GMOs or pesticide use.

Edited by Deryn (log)

You all can subscribe to  Food Safety News.  It's free and there is often interesting information not focused on recalls.

F.S.N &nbsp;Home page      

• Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 2 weeks later...

I saw an update where they've expanded this and its hitting Trader Joe's, Safeway, Walmart (Great Value brand), Costco (Kirkland brand) now.

I checked the list and saw Columbia River Products are included which I have a bunch of in my freezer. Do you all just toss the products or actually return the items for a refund?

• Like 2
"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

Thanks, Natasha. 382 products now - wow! :(

If you bought a significant amount of those items and are not a day's drive from the store where you purchased them, if I were you I would return them. For me, it would not be about needing the 'refund' per se but I think there should be some tangible financial and statistical impact on the company (aside from having to .. one hopes .. stop production/shipping, etc. till they figure out if the problem is resolved) - and if you just throw them away, there is little to no feedback or accounting in theory directly from the consumer end.

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 2