• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheap Glass Jars in Northern NJ

I tend to use the old fashioned 16 ounce glass peanut butter jars for a lot of other stuff- salt, hand blended pickled jalapenos, chunks of romano and reggiano, etc. etc. I don't break them too frequently, but over the years, I've lost a few and, because everything is in plastic now, I'm having a hard time replenishing my stock.

Shoprite sells natural peanut butter for $2.49, but, I'm not much of a fan, so I'd pretty much be paying $2.49 for a jar, which seems kind of outrageous to me.  Does anyone have leads for anything cheaper?  The open mouth/straight walls are pretty important to me.

Edit: I'm also looking for straight walled 32 oz. jars also.  Fattal's in Patterson sells their tahini in those- at least they did, and the wide mouth makes them about a hundred times easier to wash than the old 32 oz. mayo jars.

Edited by scott123 (log)

How about wide mouth pint canning jars? The wide mouth ones have straight sides. They cost about $8.50 for a dozen at walmart.com - I assume they are about the same in the stores. If you want to take the time, check out garage sale ads - you can often find canning jars that way. I got some recently for .25 each. I like the 24 oz. ones for storage too -also wide mouth, straight sides.They are harder to find though.

• Like 2

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Ball Wide Mouth 1.5-Pint Canning Jars are straight-sided and easy to clean.

About $10.40 for 9 jars at Bed, Bath and Beyond with the 20% coupon.

The small jelly jars are also straight-sided.

The wide-mouth quarts have a small hip—but still easy to clean.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

2 minutes ago, ElainaA said:

How about wide mouth pint canning jars? The wide mouth ones have straight sides. They cost about $8.50 for a dozen at walmart.com - I assume they are about the same in the stores.

Hmmmmm... I have about 10 pb jars, and about three times that many lids, so this would give me another size lid to have to worry about. Still, though, I like that price- a lot. Thanks.

3 hours ago, scott123 said:

Hmmmmm... I have about 10 pb jars, and about three times that many lids, so this would give me another size lid to have to worry about. Still, though, I like that price- a lot. Thanks.

The jars come with lids.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina