• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Name that mold!

pastryani

Well it's time for another round of "Name... That... Mold"!!  :)  Since you were all so helpful in sleuthing last time :ph34r:, I thought I'd try your collective knowledge again (but this time I only have a description).  The outline of the shape is similar to this:  http://www.bakedeco.com/detail.asp?id=8934, but the center had what looked like a cupid with an arrow, and there may have been some hearts in the center also.  Mind you, this could all totally be a figment of my imagination xD, but I'm pretty sure I've seen something like this online at some point.  Thanks! 

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, Choky said:

I think I have found it: :smile:

Prefamac

Bubble bar

Weight mould : 376 g
Dimensions mould : 275x175 mm
Weight model : 44.5 g
Dimensions model : 120x30x17 mm
Cavities : 2x4 pieces

366_bubblebrnootonder.jpeg

http://www.prefamac.com/webshop/default?lang=en

All the best!

Ref Nr : S2BD0078N

Well done Choky!

Welcome to eG - sounds like you will fit in nicely here.

• Like 3

Glad to be useful and welcomed!

I found the thread (and forum) a couple of weeks ago when I was googling for chocolate mold manufacturers.

Then yesterday I found myself in the Prefamac website and there was the Bubble bar looking at me. :x

Now that I have registered in the forum I’ll probably ask some no so smart questions, chocolate related. :/

Cheers!

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Choky said:

Now that I have registered in the forum I’ll probably ask some no so smart questions...

Specialty of the house. :)

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 2 months later...

I came across a useful video on decorating chocolates that features the mold below. As far as I can judge from a frame in the video where the person is holding one piece, the cavities are about 1 1/2" long. The holes in the mold show that the pieces can be formed with a matching mold as an (somewhat elongated) egg but also work as a single mold. Several people responding to the video have asked the origin of the mold, but the chocolatier has not answered. I have scoured Bakedeco and Chef Rubber (two places she mentions as general sources for products) and looked under eggs on Chocolate World and on Chocolat-Chocolat, with no luck. (I should add that Chef Rubber's website has been under reconstruction since last fall, so polycarbonate molds are not listed--they sent me a list of what's available.) Chocolat-Chocolat has an egg mold with 16 cavities, but the shape does not appear pointed as does the one in the video. If anyone comes across this mold, please let me know. 

mold.thumb.jpg.8d8b2035dd5fbe8091e1b355eadad1b3.jpg

3 hours ago, Jim D. said:

--it's the same Chocolate World mold that Lisa Shock mentioned. I was disappointed to see that the mold produces 10g chocolates ...

That is surprising, it looks bigger than 10g. 

@Jim D. & @keychris - if you like this shape but want something that yields a bigger piece, you might consider this sister mold that is the same shape but has the base shaved off so that once joined, the piece will sit flat:

https://www.pastrychefsboutique.com/chocolate-world/648840-chocolate-world-cw1692-polycarbonate-chocolate-mold-flattened-quenelle-455x25x1250-mm-2x8-pc-7-gr-275x135x24-modern-shaped-molds.html

4 hours ago, Jim D. said:

I like that mold too, but although the pieces are considerably longer than the original one, they are only 7 grams. 

Ah but if you join them together... 17g! ;)

Btw, are are these pieces longer?  I thought they were the same dimensions as the quenelle.  I have both and they fit perfectly, so perhaps I included the wrong link.

• Like 1

You are correct, the two molds have the same dimensions. The one you pointed out holds less (obviously) because of the indentation. In any event, whether 7g or 10g, that is a small piece of chocolate. As keychris wrote, we just need someone to make the quenelle shape in a larger size. I haven't yet tried to "glue" together two halves of this type of mold. I assume one would make each half separately, close each, then melt the feet to stick them together. Or perhaps there is a better way?

19 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

I haven't yet tried to "glue" together two halves of this type of mold. I assume one would make each half separately, close each, then melt the feet to stick them together. Or perhaps there is a better way?

If the molds are filled and bottomed, a dot or two of chocolate makes easy "glue". 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Jim D. said:

I haven't yet tried to "glue" together two halves of this type of mold. I assume one would make each half separately, close each, then melt the feet to stick them together. Or perhaps there is a better way?

I've tried "gluing" both ways:  (1) with a chocolate backing as pastrygirl said in which case the center of your finished piece has 2 layers of chocolate in the middle dividing the fillings, or (2) just slightly overfilling the cavities, adding a drop of chocolate to each side, closing them together, and hoping for the best. :D

The advantages of the former method are that the halves tend to stick together better and there's no spillage of filling.  The downside (for me) is that you get that center of chocolate which together can sometimes be quite thick.  With the latter method you don't get that thick chocolate center, but the halves don't stick together very well, and if your filling is runny then good luck trying to join the halves without making a mess. I find this works best with thick or sticky fillings like peanut butter, but expect to join a good number of halves together manually. 9_9

Edited by pastryani (log)

• 3 weeks later...

@Marina It looks like a pretty standard dome mold, I'm thinking maybe CW2295? 

https://www.pastrychefsboutique.com/chocolate-world/648982-chocolate-world-cw2295-polycarbonate-chocolate-dome-mold-29x21-mm-32-cavity-13gr-modern-shaped-molds.html

Hard to tell from the pic but hers might be a tad larger...

Edit:  Just found this one which looks a little bigger:

CW2116

http://www.pastrychef.com/CHOCOLATE-MOLD--DOME_p_1092.html

Edited by pastryani (log)
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...