• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Homemade Chocolate

rbda

Hello, I'm making homemade chocolate using a sugar substitute, cocoa butter, and the double boiler method. I'm having a hard time getting the sweetener to dissolve and mix in the cocoa butter. I'm wondering if adding an emulsifier such as Soy lecithin would help the oil and crystals mix together better?

Unless you're using some sort of grinder you will never remove that granular texture. Domestic grade food blenders can't get the particle size small enough - I don't think having the emulsifier would change that. I'm not an expert on that part of chocolate making though ;)

• Like 2

keychris is correct - lecithin wont help. You need to "refine" the particle size of the sugar/sweetener (break it into very small pieces that are too small to notice) rather than "dissolve" it.

• Like 1

I had the same frustration trying to make exquisitely smooth praline paste and Nutella at home. I just could never get the smoothness and small particle size at home that an industrial concher can produce, no matter how much I grinder, seived and smashed! 

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

You can try putting the sweetener in a blender and letting it run for a while. I make my own powdered sugar (sans cornstarch) and popcorn salt this way. Don't fill more than ¼ full, and don't inhale the dust. -Make sure the blender has a glass pitcher, not plastic. Plastic ones can actually get scratched and wear away, at least with salt, I have no idea where your sweetener falls on the Mohs scale.

45 minutes ago, Patrick S said:

I had the same frustration trying to make exquisitely smooth praline paste and Nutella at home. I just could never get the smoothness and small particle size at home that an industrial concher can produce, no matter how much I grinder, seived and smashed! 

a spice grinder might work, I think Kerry has mentioned one in the past for this purpose. I know when we used a stone grinder in class it still wasn't as smooth as commercial paste, but it was smoother than a blender, we only ran it for ~6hrs though.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing this! I'd never even seen this type of grinder.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh