• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian Vegetables

Thanks for the Crepes

11 hours ago, huiray said:

hot long finger chillies

These. Part of a bag of these chillies I brought home, selected from two large racks/bins of them; most of them not in the photo of course. I used a couple of the chillies (un-deseeded), sliced up, in the valor beans dish.

DSCN9101a_600.jpg

Also from an Indian grocery, but no doubt widely grown in many places.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 1

On 4/20/2016 at 9:17 AM, huiray said:
On 4/20/2016 at 4:39 AM, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I can also get this

Luffa acutangula.

As has also been mentioned, a widely used vegetable in E and SE Asian cuisines also. See the wikipedia article (embedded link above) for its many names. I've talked about this (a.k.a. 勝瓜 (sing1/sing3 gwaa1) (or also, 絲瓜 (si1 gwaa1); a.k.a. "angled loofah" and other names) on the grocery thread several times (see here for an example; scroll down); and also on the cooking threads repeatedly. I like this in soups, and occasionally stir-fries and a few other rare ways (for me). I usually take the ribs off (with a potato peeler; done in a minute or less) before slicing up and cooking. See here (scroll down), here, here, here, here for soup examples; and here, here, here for stir-fry examples.

See here for another example of a stir-fry with angled loofah and pork and stuff.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/20/2016 at 2:24 AM, liuzhou said:

Not for me

Anyway, that is bitter gourd/ bitter melon/ balsam pear. Again not Indian, although popular there. Usually stir fried with beef here. I've posted it more than once on the dinner threads.

imageproxy.php.jpg

Called ampalaya in Tagalog, and one of my favorites.  It's an acquired taste if you don't like bitter flavors.  

There was a Chinese steam-table takeout place on 2nd Street and Market that unfortunately doesn't seem like it's going to reopen anytime soon.  Pity, because they were known for their beef with bitter melon and black bean sauce.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all, 

I am just going to add quickly to this discussion. 

A. Dudhi/Lauki/Opo Squash same thing, different names. Dudhi in Gujarat, Maharashtra regions, Lauki in punjab and northern regions where hindi is spoken. Opo in Asia. 

I make dudhi halwa rarely although it is delicious. I use it more in soup, daal or as a vegetable. Some of the names of dishes I would associate with it are

Dudhi Chana Daal shaak, Dudhi Muthiya, Dudhi Thepla, Dudhi wali daal or sambhar, Dudhi in Morkhlambho, Dudhi Avial.

Dudhi Channa Daal Shaak: 

Peel and slice Dudhi into bite sized pieces

Soak channa daal in water for about an hour, drain and set aside

In a pressure cooker, heat a couple of tablespoons of peanut or sesame oil. Add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, and smashed garlic pods. In a few seconds add the channa daal and dudhi. Add salt, turmeric powder and water with a little bicarbonate of soda. Add crushed green chilies and ginger. Stir well. Cook in the pressure cooker on high for two whistles and then reduce the heat for one more whistle. 

When cool, open the pressure cooker, stir, add cilantro leaves and lemon juice. I have a picture of my own cooking for this dish. Let me upload it here. 

B. Turiya/Torai/Ridge Gourd

This is Not the luffa. The vegetable you have shown in the picture is a Ridge gourd. A luffa is smooth skinned and we call it a Galku/Gilki. So again Turiy in Gujarat and Torai in Punjab. Some of the dishes associated with the ridge gourd are: 

Turiya mag ni daal shaak, Turiya patra shaak, Torai tamatar, Torai lobiya, and Ridge Gourd peel chutney

3. Karela/Bitter Melon

The only way I eat bitter melon is if I peel the skin, de seed it and salt the whole vegetable till the bitter juices run off. 

Then I slice the karela thinly and squeeze out the juices. A stirfry with onions, salt, red chili powder. When the bitter gourd is cooked we add jaggary and amchoor powder. Sprinkle some grated fresh coconut. Enjoy with chapatti. 

:)

Bhukhhad

image.jpeg

• Like 2

बहुत  धन्यवाद्  @Bhukhhad!

I was trying to say thank you very much for responding and taking the time to even post photos. I really appreciate it.

I do not speak Indian Hindi, so this is the site where I got it from, and so sorry if I insulted your mother or called you a horse or something. :D

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

On 7/29/2016 at 0:23 PM, Bhukhhad said:

B. Turiya/Torai/Ridge Gourd

This is Not the luffa. The vegetable you have shown in the picture is a Ridge gourd. A luffa is smooth skinned and we call it a Galku/Gilki. So again Turiy in Gujarat and Torai in Punjab. Some of the dishes associated with the ridge gourd are: 

Turiya mag ni daal shaak, Turiya patra shaak, Torai tamatar, Torai lobiya, and Ridge Gourd peel chutney

I gather the two types are called by different names in English by you and folks in your area where you live in South Asia. Still, they are both luffas/loofahs. The one you call "ridge gourd" is Luffa acutangula while the one you describe as "smooth" and as "luffa" (actually, slightly bumpy skin but no ridges) is Luffa aegyptiaca. The "combined" wiki article is here.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 2