• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How to serve A5 grade Miyazaki Wagyu

msacuisine

I spent a ridiculous amount of money to get 12oz A5 grade  Miyazaki Wagyu  Ribeyes and the 96 Cos d'estournel I'm going to serve it with.

I'm trying to figure out how to serve it and what with:

Should I sous vide it?

Should I serve it with something like a Madiera sauce, or a Bercy butter, or just let it stand on it's own?

What side dishes would go best with it?

I am open to ideas.

I think twice-baked potatoes stuffed back into their own skins after mashing the insides with a little butter and milk, and with a little cheese and chives or scallions and a fresh, crisp, lightly dressed salad with fresh warm bread and butter are my favorite steak accompaniments. You may want something fancier with that expensive meat though, or something more Japanese, so YMMV. I would also grill the steak over charcoal or wood. I would not add a sauce with fat to this already very rich meat, I would want to let the awesome cut stand on its own. I'm one that when I rarely get a chance to enjoy good beef, I want only salt, pepper, sear and smoke from the wood fire and steak fat along with the beef flavor. Enjoy it whatever you do, you lucky dog! :)

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

Fry on top of thickly sliced garlic, minimum salt and pepper, medium rare. Slice into thick slices, with salt&pepper on the side and a katsuoboshi-based tare with just a hint of mirin.

WP_20151208_18_49_30_Pro.jpg

WP_20151208_18_54_13_Pro.jpg

WP_20151208_18_54_51_Pro.jpg

WP_20151208_18_57_30_Pro.jpg

WP_20151208_19_14_58_Pro.jpg

WP_20151208_19_18_48_Pro.jpg

• Like 6

I'd clench it, but that's just me. Reasoning is if I could afford it, why not just toss it in the fire? 9_9

Maybe sear in a cast iron pan and deglaze with the '96 Cos d'estournel to make a sauce? :P

Okay now to be serious...

My favorite side for steak is simple blanched then sauteed fresh green beans. Sea salt, fresh ground pepper in the molcajete, garlic and butter. A nice crunch to compliment the juicy, tenderness of the beef.

I'm really interested to see what others who have actually cooked a cut like this have to say.

I'd sous-vide. I haven't done Japanese Kobe, so maybe someone else can weigh in on temperature. My first thought is to set the circulator to 55°C, aiming for an internal temperature of 54°C. It's important to cook it far enough into medium-rare territory that you melt the marbling, otherwise you'll get a waxy, greasy mouthfeel. Cook only until cooked through. Any longer will just lose juices and mess with the texture. Cutting the steaks to 1.5" thick is ideal in terms of time and ease of browning.

Finish on the stove. Go for browned, not charred and crispy. You don't want to mess with the delicate flavors. I'd salt the sv'd meat, let it sit while the griddle or pan preheats, and at the last minute dust with baking soda / glucose (I use a 1:5 ratio). This will speed maillard reactions so you can get solid browning without introducing burned fat flavors, or overcooking below the surface.

The steaks can be served whole or sliced for service (won't matter which direction you slice).

Sauce is up to you, of course, but whatever you do, think delicate, and serve on the side.

Edited by paulraphael (log)
  • Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

• 1 year later...

I just bought a mixed quarter from a friend so I have a bunch of different cuts to work with (along with 12 kilos of ground Wagyu!  Downside of buying a 1/4 carcass).  I was thinking rather than sous vide, I would try reverse sear. This has worked really well for other kinds of steak. I was also thinking of trying thin slices cooked on hot rock table side (Ishiyaki style?) with a simple dipping sauce.  Am keen to know from others how they have prepared their Wagyu. The breeder noted that open flame not best as flare up a problem with the high fat content of the beef.  Will update as I work through the freezer!

http://www.seriouseats.com/2017/03/how-to-reverse-sear-best-way-to-cook-steak.html