• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Immersion Circulator - Anova v Vac-Star

stonypaul

I recently asked a question about the pros and cons of immersion circulators and water baths, and got some very helpful tips.

Having decided to go for a immersion circulator I now have the quandary of choosing between two models; the anova or the Vac-Star SousVideChef II

The UK model of the anova will be available early May but the Vac-Star is available now.

The anova is 175 GBP where as the Vac-Star is 250 GBP.

The anova has 8 liters per minute and the Vac-Star 16 liters per minute.

The anova has 15-19 liters tank capacity and the Vac-Star has a capacity of 40 liters.

While the Vac-Star has a higher spec than the anova I'm wondering if this is negligible because I'll never need that extra oomph.

Plus the anova has the wi-fi facility and I just love gadgets, plus it's styling is just sleeker and sexier!

So has anyone experienced both of these models to offer any advice, or even if you've just tried one of them, what is a man to do.....

Thank you

I've got both. Would go with the Anova. Vac-Star is older technology and a bit more clunky.

I've cooked for 40 people with the circulator and a 20 litre tank is more than enough.

No point going for specs that you will never use.

• Like 2

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Hi stonypaul.

I feel your pain - you want to start playing with SV, and you want to do it NOW!

I'll freely confess to being an Anova fan.  I got the original when it first came out, and now also have a lovely red Precision Cooker (which means the older one rarely gets an outing these days, although I did have both of them going on Christmas Day).  You're certainly right that the Anova is prettier.  I just looked at the Vac-Star and it nearly put me off my lunch.

The capacity of the tank really isn't that relevant.  A more powerful circulator should certainly bring a given volume of cold water up to temperature faster, but if you start with hot water from the tap any circulator is likely to be able to keep it at temperature regardless (within reason) of what the volume is.  And the important thing is not so much how much water the machine can push around, but how good it is at holding your set temperature.

Early May is rapidly approaching ...

• Like 1

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

What they said. The real value of a commercial unit is durability and longevity. And people haven't had too many complaints about the Anovas in those regards. I'd save the money. You'll get something light and compact. And if you end up being a mad-hatter sous-vider, you can get a second Anova. The two together probably won't take up much more space or cost much more than a commercial unit.

Edited by paulraphael (log)
  • Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

Love my Anovas and May will be here in the blink of an eye.  Think of all the food you can buy to put it through its paces if you don't spend it on the other unit:D

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks guys - the Anova wins! I'm glad about that because looking at the two models side by side, the Anova just gives me the feel good factor and that's the one I really wanted, but as a novice I wanted reassurance!

• Like 1

Either one.  I like the size of the newer one but both work equally well. For anyone who needs the connectivity then of course the original won't fit the bill.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

No doubt the Anova Wi-Fi.

The first time you're out and about then come home to a preheated water bath you'll fall in love.

The first time you leave your Anova unplugged and have to wait for the water to heat one evening you'll then see why get the WiFi. It would be that feeling every time with the Vac-Star.

The only reason I can see getting the Vac-Star is because of capacity, which you've already said you don't need. 

If you ever do need it I'd get another Anova, spending only $50 more than the Vac-Star. When not doing higher capacity you could cook multiple dishes at different temps.Win-Win.

• Like 1

Mine's the old one. I get past the coming-to-temp- issue by using hot tap water to start with. Generally no more than 15 minutes to raise it to cooking temps I use for most things.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I still don't understand the coming-to-temperature issue.  I fill my pot with hot tap water and the Anova (original flavor) takes it to cooking temperature in seconds.  Perhaps some benighted souls purchased the wrong color?

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I have city water and it costs me money every time I turn on the tap. I use a 4-3/4 gallon Cambro. I can use the same water for quite some time before I feel it needs a change.

I could scoop out a pot of water and put it on the stove, but when the ambient daytime temp in the house during the winter is 65F, it still takes a bit of time to heat up. 

It's just not worth the effort when I can press a couple buttons on my phone, walk in the door, throw something from the freezer in and go on with whatever else I feel like doing.

This is especially important having a 12 year old with an 8:30 bed time and we're having steak. I cook 2.5 inch ribeyes from frozen. I need that water at temp when I walk in the door. 

Lazy mornings when I want some sous vide eggs I don't even have to get out of bed until the bath is ready. 

I always use hot water from the tap to save time. It also saves money, at least in my situation. I'm in a building where hot water costs are included, but we have our own electric meter. This is a bit of selfish gaming of the system, but in the big picture it probably uses less energy overall.

There's the issue of water waste, but I usually use old sous-vide water for the plants. Especially in the summer, when the patio garden drinks a lot. This water has the advantage of being mostly dechlorinated, which some plants prefer.

• Like 2

Notes from the underbelly

I have used both, I own Anova PC and have worked with the Vac-Star for the Sous Vide classes I teach. Both are good units, but unless you absolutely need the higher capacity, I'll choose the Anova for home use. Smaller profile, which means both easier to store when not in use and can be used in smaller containers. And it is the unit best adapted to usage in different size containers, even small ones, which comes handy at home, something that cannot be done with the Vac-Star.