• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 4)

BonVivant

A sort-of atsuage.

DSCN9418a_600.jpg

Deep-fried firm tofu chunks, scallions, Lingham's Extra Hot Sauce.

Soup.

DSCN9424a_600.jpg

Water, bone-in beef short ribs, garlic, ginger, pickled mustard ("harm syun choy"; Sour Mustard in Brine [JHC brand]) pre-soaked & trimmed, wet sweet & sour Pickled Plums [Dragon brand] w/ some of the jelly, tamarind pulp cut from a pressed block [Dragonfly] slurried w/ water, salt. Simmer till done, seasoning adjusted.

Yakisoba, the day's version chez huiray.

DSCN9437c_600.jpg

For details see here in the ramen cook-off topic.

• Like 8

roasted chicken on knot weed 2.jpgroasted chicken on knot weed 3.jpgknot weed.jpgSquid on daikon 2.jpgsquid on daikon.jpgWeeds, weeds!! Harvested (foraged) knot weeds from my garden. Made a roasted chicken to go with it.

Also had stewed squids, on daikon. Squids, also known as "weeds of the sea".

dcarch

• Like 15

A really simple soup with homemade chicken stock, risoni pasta, parsley and parmesan.

Served with special toasties, olive sourdough, avocado, sliced chicken breast, bacon, tomatoes and melted cheese.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 18

Here is how it all starts:

clams.png

I bought 3 pounds. This turned out to be 2 dozen clams of various sizes. I picked out 12 of the largest and opened them. The other dozen are small enough to have on the half shell (kind of a lunch bonus for me).

IMG_0866.JPG

The big ones, I stuffed with a combination of chopped chorizo, garlic, shallots, green onion all sautéed in a pan with a bit of olive oil, bread crumbs, butter, grated Parmesan cheese and deglazed with dry sherry. I baked these in a 350 F oven for 35 minutes while I put together a Caesar salad with homemade croutons.

Here they are after cooking.

IMG_0869.JPG

IMG_0870.JPG

And put it all together for dinner tonight.

HC

IMG_0871.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 16

image.jpeg

Sirloin tips cooked in the Instant Pot with some mushrooms and served over fettuccine. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 18

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Leeks and caramelized onion quiche with cream cheese and Parmesan (whole milk instead of cream, since the cheeses are fatty). Had slightly to much filling, so I made a tiny crust less baby quiche.

DSCF5028.JPGDSCF5026.JPG

קיש בצל (9).JPG

Even better when re-crisped in the oven for lunch the next day. 

• Like 19

~ Shai N.

Lamb here, too, but there's no real theme.  I made a marinade with pulverised kombu kelp and dried shiitake (as a seasoning for different things), fresh turmeric, sherry and Vietnamese fish sauce. Marinated the meat in this overnight. The meat sizzled madly in the pan so good thing I had an apron on.

5y3YpkC.jpg

The other plate is stir-fried asparagus with fermented black beans and Sichuan chillies in oil (from a jar).

x3ZF7gg.jpg

• Like 9

It is May so I am mainly out in the dirt of the garden and not cooking or posting much. But tonight: Marinated chicken and roasted peppers, potato salad and a green salad with pears.  This was a trial run for a fancy picnic I need to do soon when we go to Eurocar. I'm not sure it was fancy enough but it was good. Maybe the chicken with something other than the potato salad?

DSC01092.jpg

Added benefit- this is a make-ahead meal so when my knees were screaming after planting half of the tomatoes i took a break and made dinner. Add then planted more tomatoes. 

• Like 8

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

You folks are making me drool with all the fantastic meals and such diversity.  Very inspirational.  I scored some fiddleheads today.  Will have them with the first new potatoes from the Fraser Valley.

I find myself unable to decide what to make these days.  Leafing through cookbooks; checking out my Eat Your Books Bookmarks.  Just can't decide.  Stupid.  I should just pick a book and start cooking from it.  This always happens when we get busy and setting aside time to do some real cooking is hard to find.  It's the hockey playoffs and of course our NBA team.  Don't want to miss any of the games which usually start at dinner time.

I did make a whole rack of lamb for my birthday.  Can'b believe we ate the whole rack!  Then our 42 year anniversary was yesterday and we had a very simple grass fed organic rib eye steak each which were absolutely fabulous accompanied by fresh corn and steamed greens from our garden.

• Like 9

Had I known I would finally get my dishwasher back (Yah! :)) before 4:00 PM, I would have made the enchiladas I've been craving. That would have required making the tortillas by hand from masa harina before that time, so I went with what I had planned before that, which was egg noodles mixed with cooked ground beef and onions and simply seasoned. My mom used to make it for us kids, and I haven't had it in about 50 years. It was as good as I remember it.

I served it with a green leaf lettuce, grape tomato and green pepper salad with some lemon tahini dressing I was able to make because it makes so many extra dishes, I had not planned on it when the plan was to wash everything by hand. I always love lemon tahini, and it's been a while since I made it. My husband had forgotten it, but liked it a lot too, as usual.

I am going to start a new thread about lemon tahini dressing, because my version was good, but not as good as some I have had, so anyone with a favorite recipe for it, please chime in over there. I'll come back and put in a link when I have the thread up.

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes
add link (log)
  • Like 5

> ^ . . ^ <

Picked up a pig kidney on the way home, "flower cut" it,  and marinated it in Shaoxing wine with garlic and chilli, then added some potato starch and stir fried it with fresh shiitake mushrooms cut to approximately the same shape and some scallions. Added some light soy sauce when it started to dry out.

kidney.jpg

Served with rice cooked to baptise my new rice cooker.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

One result of being in a weekly fish share is that I end up with lots of little packages of fish in my freezer: tail pieces, or maybe there was just too much fish to eat that week.  Last night I took out most of the packets and ground them up with cilantro, toasted coriander, ginger, garlic, cayenne, scallions, egg, panko, salt and pepper and made crispy fish cakes.  They were served on a salad with cucumbers, pickled grated carrots and a spicy chili mayo.  The recipe was from a new cookbook I picked up called num pang.  Apparently num pang is a sandwich shop in NYC.  The fish cakes were quite good, and cleared out my fish bits section of my freezer.

bin ends fish cake.jpg

Edited by liamsaunt (log)
  • Like 15

First attempt at making Rendang!

2016-05-26 16.08.31.jpg

EDIT (result):

2016-05-26 20.01.16.jpg

Above a simple bowl of rice, with some Atjar. Sadly, no greens to fancy it up a little. However, not dissapointed by the end result, although the Misses was complaining that I left the Madame Jeanette infuse a bit too long haha.

Edited by koen (log)
  • Like 8

Some thin cut steak with new potatoes, fiddle heads, mushrooms and corn.  A little herb butter on the steak.

The other dinner was dahl, rice, roast chicken, grilled radish and green onions both from the garden.

DSC01358.jpgDSC01356.jpg

• Like 12

Spring bolete consommé.

DSCN9472b_600.jpg

Oregon spring boletes (including trimmings plus scraps), just enough water, several big scoops of reduced high gelatin chicken stock (from this), lots of parsley stems, Maldon salt, plus trimmed-off morel stems; simmer for a fair while. Filter twice. Clarify w/ egg whites, a final decant & filter.** Gently re-warm, plate/bowl w/ some of the now-darker-color bolete pieces (sliced) retrieved from the pot; and garnished w/ julienned ramp leaf.

Blond morel, spring bolete & ramp pasta.

DSCN9482a_600.jpg

DSCN9489a_600.jpg

Sliced ramp bulbs gently sautéed in Alziari EV olive oil, halved rinsed trimmed blond morels, fresh thyme leaves, bit of Maldon salt. Then wet just-cooked spaghetti [Rustichella d'Abruzzo], plucked parsley leaves, fold in, with pasta water splashed in as needed, fold together. Serve.

Oh, some trimmed soy bean sprouts sautéed w/ scallions, simply salted, a little earlier.

DSCN9461a_600.jpg

The pasta dish in process.

DSCN9476a-78b_comb_600.jpg

The ingredients for the pasta dish.

DSCN9458aC_600.jpg

The blond morels, ramps, Oregon spring boletes came via Annabelle's Garden.

A bit later, shelled & munched through a pile of salted pistachios.  :-)

** lightly beaten white, stirred into cooled (RT) filtered soup, bring slowly towards simmer while stirring, stop stirring when curdled whites rise, let come to a simmer, shut off heat, cover, let stand. Then decanted and filtered through a pre-rinsed Melitta coffee filter #4.

• Like 7

This week it is finally warm around here that we can eat dinner on the deck! 

Starting off the season with a good size Lobster and champagne! It was good, no complaints! :-)

image.jpeg

• Like 20

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Cooked up two hotel pans of chicken stew. My number 2 son and I each had a bowl tonight then I sent him home with three more meals and put two more in my freezer.  

• Like 14

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Fava said:

This week it is finally warm around here that we can eat dinner on the deck! 

Starting off the season with a good size Lobster and champagne! It was good, no complaints! :-)

image.jpeg

I don't see the melted butter...

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Curried rice with tuna. Served with pappadams and mango chutney.

It's a bit like biryani. Fry diced shallot, garlic, grated ginger and fresh tumeric in ghee, add basmati rice to coat, add stock then simmer covered. Add peas and tuna to warm through. Garnish with sliced spring onions.

image.jpeg

• Like 7

I finally  cooked something interesting or at least tasty.  Due to circumstances, I haven't cooked much the last while, and it was nice to put this together.  Easy but good.  Korean Stewed Chicken (Dak Bokkeum) with asparagus and bell peppers.  Served over white rice.

20160526_201722.jpg

• Like 11