• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 4)

BonVivant

Pizza for dinner.

First is a classical Margarita, uncooked tomato sauce - peeled, crashed and drained; fior di latte (fresh cow milk mozzarella), plenty of basil - added post bake.

20160521_200545.jpg20160521_200533.jpg

Second is one of my favorite usual toppings: Pesto (with plenty of pine nuts and Parmesan), ricotta, some low moisture mozzarella, sliced cherry tomatoes.

20160521_203319.jpg20160521_203315.jpg

And a first time topping for me: Same raw tomato sauce, Roquefort, low moisture mozzarella, granny smith apple, black pepper.
Very good. Maybe I should re-consider my aversion from pineapple on pizza (it always seemed wrong to me, but if apple works, then it might do as well).

20160521_210007.jpg20160521_205920.jpg

First two baked 6-7 minutes on a baking steel @ 270 deg C, under a broiler. Last one baked 8 minutes, as the oven lost heat.

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 17

~ Shai N.

I wish I could get ' fresh ' beets ' more often  

ie beets with green tops

the non-topped beets are a bit of a crap shoot.

I love cooking beets now that i have the IP

unfortunately the Rate Limiting Step is Now ''  Fresh  '' beets

O.o

• Like 4

2 hours ago, zend said:

@shain : what oven did you use? that looks very yum

Thank you very much. I used a electric convection oven, pushed to it's limit. The thick steel help get good results, yet I wish I had an oven capable of higher temps. Maybe one day.

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

@sartoric

Those lamb enchiladas look bloody marvellous!   Please, please share more details.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

This recipe has been on my radar since forever. It is lettuce salad with hot beef dressing from Beyond the Great Wall.  I was so very disappointed. I do not think it is the fault of the recipe but I was hoping for another revelation similar to the first time I tried laarb.  This was not it.  

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

My SIL went "BlueFishing" and we were one of the happy recipients. I threw the pieces into a ziplock back containing flour, Panko, pepper, salt, Old Bay seasoning to coat and quickly fried them in my 15 inch cast iron pan. Ate them with French Fries and a salad.  Happy! 

image.jpeg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

@sartoric

Those lamb enchiladas look bloody marvellous!   Please, please share more details.

It was a bit of a stuff up actually. I thought I bought pork mince and was going to make meat sauce for pasta.

I fried an onion and garlic, added chilli paste, went to add the meat and went oh oh, this isn't pork. So, I added the lamb, 4 diced Roma tomatoes, a pinch of cumin, coriander and ginger and let it simmer down. Put the pasta away, got some flour tortillas out of the freezer, rolled the sauce up, covered with grated cheddar and browned under the grill. Saved !

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, sartoric said:

It was a bit of a stuff up actually. I thought I bought pork mince and was going to make meat sauce for pasta.

I fried an onion and garlic, added chilli paste, went to add the meat and went oh oh, this isn't pork. So, I added the lamb, 4 diced Roma tomatoes, a pinch of cumin, coriander and ginger and let it simmer down. Put the pasta away, got some flour tortillas out of the freezer, rolled the sauce up, covered with grated cheddar and browned under the grill. Saved !

So there was only cheese on the outside and a lamb sauce inside? 

My 2004 eG Blog

43 minutes ago, sartoric said:

Yes

Thanks. 

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, sartoric said:

Thinking of how to change that is what I think of as a cooking super power!  :D

• Like 3

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Spinach wilted into chicken broth.

DSCN9401b_600.jpg

Kangkong stir-fried w/ young garlic & fermented chillied bean curd.

DSCN9412a_600.jpg

Hot pan, hot oil, sliced young garlic, trimmed & washed kangkong, slurry of "Cantonese spicy fermented beancurd" (广东辣腐乳 (simplified) / 廣東辣腐乳 (traditional)) w/ water & a splash of Shaohsing wine.

Pan-fried Patagonian Toothfish.

DSCN9408b_600.jpg

Rinsed fish fillets patted dry, fried skin-side-down first; rice bran oil; salt & ground black pepper. Flipped over and fried, the smaller/thinner piece removed first, with the thicker piece fried longer while spooning hot oil over it as well.

Oil decanted off, pan rinsed reheated w/ some of the oil, chopped scallions & coriander leaves tossed in followed by quenching w/ a mixture of double fermented soy sauce, water, Shaohsing wine, rock sugar (pre-dissolved in) and the heat shut off. The scallions & coriander plated w/ the fish, some of the warm sauce poured into the dish.

Eaten w/ lots of rice.

En route:

DSCN9395a_400.jpgDSCN9393a_400.jpg

• Like 12

Cuban mojo rotisserie chicken. Because it contains a lot of citrus (orange, lemon and lime juice) you can’t marinate it too long or the skin will not hold up to the long cooking time and fall apart and the skin is why you do this in the first place. So it is a happy dance of compromise to get it right. This chicken was almost 6 pounds, so it cooked for 2 ¾ hours at 350 over indirect heat. The long cooking time offers the perfect opportunity to break out a growler of my favorite local brew and the regular ½ hour basting schedule affords me the perfect pace to ensure that the second pint (these are 32 oz growlers) is finished up when the chicken is done. 

IMG_0840.JPG

IMG_0836.JPG

As a side note, this little brewery is in an old mill that was once a working velvet mill where my father worked. As a child, I was in there quite a bit and knew many of the loom workers and dye house people by name. Now it is a collection of art studios and shops, but is quite nostalgic when I visit to have my growlers refilled. Getting more than 2 growlers filled gets to be an awkward situation and much as I hate to admit it, I broke a full one once. It still pains me to think about as breaking an empty one would have been bad enough. My solution was to build a carrier that I based on an antique milk bottle carrier.

Growler Carrier.jpg

Getting back to the chicken:

IMG_0842.JPG

It was another fine Sunday chicken dinner with a baked potato and cucumber salad.

HC

IMG_0843.JPG  

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 15

When I was a kid, a long time ago, If I got sick my mother would feed me this horrible dish of unidentified white fish boiled to death in milk and served with plain boiled potatoes (usually unseasoned).

This is my revenge.

Pan fried pre-seasoned hake fillets served with potatoes cooked in white wine with onions, herbs and lashings of salt and pepper. Some of my favourite bottled chili sauce for dipping.

There was a side of stir fried greenery, but as usual I forgot to photograph that.

IMG_0899.jpg

• Like 14

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

After it stopped raining, it was nice enough to grill outside so I did steaks and corn. Inside I made a baked pototato (not on the table yet), salad and mushrooms.  Earlier I made some sourdough bread with white whole  wheat flour.  When it came out of the oven the crust looked darker that it should but it was done to 190º so I knew it wasn't over baked.  When I cut a slice, i was surprised at how dark the bread was. It looked like regular whole wheat bread, not like other bread I had made with white whole wheat flour.  I checked the bag 4 times and every time it said "white whole wheat"  All I can figure is that they put the wrong flour in the bag or their definition of white is different than mine.

DSCN3538.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews
Typing with cat sleeping on my shoulder and I made several mistakes (log)
  • Like 14