• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 4)

BonVivant

Chicken korma at the local Indian establishment. Their naan is always good, but tonight it was exceptional. We eat at this restaurant fairly regularly; they also have wonderful mango kulfi and lassi.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I'm in Paris on holidays for the week, and have been having a lovely time buying cheese, chocolate, amazing breads, patisserie, ham..you name it, I've eaten it this week. 

Tonight was the first night I've actually cooked dinner though, as I've been cooking most breakfasts in (a lot of updates to the Breakfast thread!) and going out to make mischief by night. Tonight, though; I pan-fried a wonderful duck breasts I bought at La Grand Epicerie de Paris till the skin was crispy but the meat still pink, made a pan sauce out of reducing some blackberry jam I found in the pantry of the apartment I'm staying in, and served over mache from the green grocer in the Marche Couvert de Batignolles, the neighborhood I'm staying in.

Not the most attractive meal I've ever made, but I was pretty happy eating it on the balcony looking out over this view. ❤️

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 27

Some nice amaranth (莧菜) [from Asia Mart].

DSCN9308b_600.jpg

Just a couple of the bushier plants in a large bunch.

Amaranth stir-fried w/ garlic & dried shrimp (re-softened first).

DSCN9318b_600.jpg

Amaranth & fish ball soup.

DSCN9326c_600.jpg

Chicken broth, bit of extra oil, chopped garlic, fish balls [Venus], simmer; trimmed amaranth stems, then amaranth leaves on tender stems barely wilted in.

Fried rice.

DSCN9330b_600.jpg

Rice bran oil, chopped garlic, chopped scallions (lots), trimmed baby broccoli [Earthly Delights, BRFM], some kosher salt, two "normal" eggs [Schacht Farm] plus two Black Silkie eggs [local; from East Asia Market], two-day-old white rice.

Plus some cherries. :-) 

DSCN9336a_400.jpg

• Like 10

So.. I still play recreational soccer.  One gets a little hungry post game!! 

So this was my dinner

Black Morel Mushroom/ Romano Cheese on a Ciabatta Bread

27017129351_747c231846_k.jpg

• Like 10

Its good to have Morels

Just love it when we eat balanced meals. 

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Home at last after 4.5 weeks in South East Asia, all I want is a roast chook.

It's sprinkled with lemon juice and olive oil, then seasoned. I stuff the lemon halves and a handful of thyme into the cavity and roast for 2 hours on a bed of rosemary. Alongside are roasted potatoes, butternut pumpkin, whole garlic cloves and steamed peas. The gravy is made with pan juices and chicken stock. 

Comfort food !

image.jpeg

• Like 14

Wilted baby spinach & baby Red Russian kale, hard-boiled Black Silkie eggs, generous vinaigrette sauce.

DSCN9339a_600.jpg

Sauce: Country Dijon mustard [Grey Poupon], AgroDolce Bianco Delizia Estense, ground black pepper, sea salt, cane sugar, Arbequina EV olive oil [California Olive Ranch].

ETA: In case you are wondering – yes, I intentionally made the yolks hard enough to crumble into the warm spinach & sauce, and slicing the eggs thinly aided that. Texture contrast btw the nicely gooey sauce & the egg yolks partially crumbled in with chopsticks was intended.

Morels, asparagus, Andouille, pasta.

DSCN9346a_600.jpg

Medium-hot pan & EV oil (Arbosana [Calif. O. R.]), sliced garlic (Siberian Red [Middlefork Farm]), sliced Andouille sausage [Smoking Goose, via Goose the Market], thyme sprigs, rinsed trimmed morels [from AnnaBelle's Garden], asparagus tips [Daily Farms], just-cooked spaghetti [Rustichella d'Abruzzo], plucked parsley leaves. Fold everything in on heat. Serve.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 13

21 hours ago, rarerollingobject said:

Twelve Pierre Herme macarons. That's it. That's my entire daily food intake - making sensible nutritional choices here, people! ;)

image.jpg

Looks balanced to me. Green, yellow and white, with some red for good measure.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Dinner made of of this passing weeks leftovers, all of them tasty.

Spiced rice pilaf with chickpeas, along with zucchini cooked in tomato sauce with dill and spices.

20160519_210919.jpg

Cabbage cooked with caraway and onion, egg noodles. Some ptittim (Israeli couscous), cooked with in alkaline water malt syrup (AKA leftover bagel boiling water).

20160519_211039.jpg

Sliced cherry tomatoes (super sweet!), cucumber, and a salad of onion in sumac, parsley and olive oil. Garlicky tahini sauce.

20160519_212411.jpg

• Like 9

~ Shai N.

love the slab-o-butter...my husband used to work with a guy who said if you don't see teethmarks when you bit into your buttered bread, you didn't use enough butter.

• Like 9

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Chicken noodle soup two ways. The stock came from the freezer, the chicken was leftover from last nights roast.

For the invalid (that would be me) with broken angel hair pasta, shredded chicken, parsley and grated parmesan.

image.jpeg

For the well one, with Mi Chay noodles, stir fried carrots, wombok, celery and bok choy, chicken, chilli vinegar, crushed nuts and spring onions.

image.jpeg

• Like 14

Last night: Cauliflower gratin and potatoes rosti. The sauce on the rosti is yogurt, sour cream and chives. Also a salad of romaine, cucumbers, red onion and pears.

DSC01061.jpg

Wednesday: Pasta with Marcella Hazan's "simple veal sauce", bruschetta with seasoned ricotta, red onion and roasted red peppers. And salad.

DSC01054.jpg

DSC01052.jpg

• Like 13

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

2 hours ago, BeeZee said:

love the slab-o-butter...my husband used to work with a guy who said if you don't see teethmarks when you bit into your buttered bread, you didn't use enough butter.

My mother-in-law insisted that open-faced Danish sandwiches have enough butter so you could see teethmarks!  Smørrebrød = butter and bread.  

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Last night's dinner was a near disaster. I got back late and was tired. 

I marinated some pork in Shaoxing wine, soy sauce, garlic and chilli then got the rice going in the rice cooker. Or at least I thought I did. About half way through the process, the cooker decided it had had enough and died on me. I hurriedly switched the contents into a pan and finished it off on the stove top (something I haven't done in decades of rice cooker use).

I stir fried some cauliflower in one wok while doing the meat in another. As I was serving the cauli, I somehow dropped the emptied pan splashing my foot with hot oil. I was wearing sports shoes which are porous. Ouch!

Then the photograph turned out very iffy. The light in my kitchen isn't camera friendly.

dinner.jpg

Still, it tasted just fine.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Rib lamb chop, sous vide 55 deg C, pan seared.  If one had asked before I joined eGullet if I would ever eat rare lamb I would have strenuously denied it.  Baguette, of which I could have made a meal, given enough wine.  Broccolini (my favorite vegetable) hollandaise.

It never ceases to amaze that a scant half yolk (don't ask) can emulsify a stick of butter.  Gleefully I finished the whole recipe.  In my youth the revealed wisdom was that hollandaise could not be made with less than two full yolks.

Dessert, a generous pour of the green fairy.

• Like 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

12 hours ago, sartoric said:

For the invalid (that would be me) with broken angel hair pasta, shredded chicken, parsley and grated parmesan.

Very comforting looking chicken soups, and please get well soon, sartoric.

@liuzhou, nice looking dinner, and I hope your foot burn is not too bad. Hot oil can really cause some severe injuries in the kitchen.

Beautiful dinners on this thread, just as normal. I am particularly partial to the Italian offerings and the seafood, and the Paris stuff, and well, okay. Everything.

Our dinner was baby back ribs with jasmine rice and asparagus. It was good. My husband really seemed to enjoy the ribs especially. They were just salt and pepper. It always amazes me how good ribs can be with this simple treatment, because most recipes call for much more ingredients. I like them every once in while because it allows the flavor of good meat to shine through.

• Like 6

> ^ . . ^ <