• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 4)

BonVivant

"Big bean sprouts" (soy bean sprouts).  Baby/young kale in chicken broth.

DSCN9233b-35a_comb_600.jpg

The sprouts (大豆芽菜) [East Asia Market] were simply stir-fried w/ garlic & trimmed scallions in peanut oil.

The baby kale [Nading Farm] were refreshed in water, de-ribbed, chiffonaded, then simply wilted into chicken stock/broth and simmered for a minute or two.

"Wild Mushroom Sausages".

Red Yukon potatoes, sautéed shallots, parsley.

DSCN9242b_600.jpg

Sliced shallots sautéed in EV olive oil [California Olive Ranch], sausages [Smoking Goose, small batch; via Goose the Market] (various mushrooms including porcini) added to pan & fried along; peeled thick-sliced Yukon Gold potatoes added in, tossed/stirred around; water added + some salt, simmered/cooked down (covered). Plated, chopped parsley scattered over.

• Like 10

8 hours ago, mm84321 said:

Hiked 9 miles to the top of Mount Marcy in the Adirondacks on an empty stomach. Celebrated by feasting on this most ripe and fragrant mango. The juices went all over my beard, so I could still taste it on the descent. Long to be remembered as one of the most satisfying food experiences I have enjoyed..

bfccf029_image.jpg

LOL - I dont know why, but reading this post screamed Seinfeld to me, straight out of the Peeterman Catalogues, I am sure Elaine's writer colleagues would have approved.

• Like 6

Stuffed grape vine leaves, filled with rice and bulgur, my bland of bahart (allspice, cinnamon, turmeric, black pepper), tomato, garlic. Under the leaves are slices of onion, tomatoes, lemon and garlic, used to flavor it while cooking, and are delicious on bread with labana.

20160512_201543.jpg20160512_201700.jpg20160512_201508.jpg20160512_201629.jpg

Also made tzaziki from home made yogurt, with grated courgette and cumber. Mint, dill flowers, garlic, and only a touch of dill leaves.

20160512_195632.jpg

• Like 9

~ Shai N.

image.jpeg

What I really wanted was pizza.   The pizza one can get delivered around here is pathetic.  It was a bit late to attempt a homemade pizza and I really did not have much in the way of toppings.  So I settled.  This is a homemade flour tortilla brushed lightly  with oil and topped with lamb ragu, mozzarella cheese  and some wilted fresh spinach with a dusting of nutmeg on the spinach. It would have been very good if I didn't want a pizza O.o

• Like 13

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N  

most excellent.  for me, Im in a similar situation   the Old Time Local Pizza place was sold

had been in my town for 50 even 60 years.  Hard work  Nice people  sold and retired.   good for them

the newer one  tossed out the regular pizza ovens and got some sort of conveyer pizza thing-ey  Yuk

so the issue it this  :  when you think about pizza, what do you think about ?

for me it Pepperoni.  

so I use bread, olive oil etc etc  but it has to have some pepperoni on it.

very good w/o cheese.  CSB'd

so  when you or anyone want's pizza, figure out what that might be

then   you can make it at home decently

Ill  be making Pizza-ish myself soon

a couple of leafs from the TJ's basil plants.

• Like 2

Dinner a few nights ago at a no name restaurant somewhere in the mountains of northern Shan state, Myanmar.

Clockwise from the top....fried chicken bits, whole river fish in garlic, lime chilli sauce, stir fried wombok, morning glory, pickled vegetables, tomato salad with dipping sauces.

image.jpeg

• Like 10

Spent yesterday afternoon at the beach until sunset.  Had  cleaned  a whole tenderloin earlier that day that was wet aging in my fridge for near 60 days.  The chain and other odds and ends went into the grinder.  So it was burger sliders last night 

image.jpeg

• Like 10

19 minutes ago, sartoric said:

Dinner a few nights ago at a no name restaurant somewhere in the mountains of northern Shan state, Myanmar.

Clockwise from the top....fried chicken bits, whole river fish in garlic, lime chilli sauce, stir fried wombok, morning glory, pickled vegetables, tomato salad with dipping sauces.

image.jpeg

You left out one of the more important dishes – the soup right in the middle is...?

The garlic sauce for the fish - what else was in it? Certainly there was much more than garlic, just from the look of the sauce. Steamed, or braised?

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, huiray said:

You left out one of the more important dishes – the soup right in the middle is...?

The garlic sauce for the fish - what else was in it? Certainly there was much more than garlic, just from the look of the sauce. Steamed, or braised?

Sorry, it's late and I just realised I left out what's in the middle. The soup was chicken meatballs with tofu and morning glory. The fish was steamed, the sauce garlic, lime, chilli and soy.

• Like 1

Lamb curry over basmati rice, carrot raita (both from a very old clipping from the NYTimes) and roasted spiced cauliflower. And a bowl of roasted spicy chickpeas for snacking while dinner was cooking. 

DSC01028.jpg

DSC01031.jpg

• Like 15

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

9 hours ago, ElainaA said:

Lamb curry over basmati rice, carrot raita (both from a very old clipping from the NYTimes) and roasted spiced cauliflower. And a bowl of roasted spicy chickpeas for snacking while dinner was cooking. 

DSC01028.jpg

DSC01031.jpg

@ElainaA, how do you do the chickpeas please ? They look delicious, as does the main meal. 

• Like 1

I haven't posted on this topic for days. The intimidating and very beautiful/tempting posts of others' dinners explains why. I still have no real functioning kitchen, and I'm mad about it. I have been eating off styrofoam plates and using plastic silverware for weeks. The overlord did fix the hot water supply to my kitchen after a week while I did without, but now, it has been another two weeks. I need to call them back on Monday when their useless office opens or not, because they frequently dump their phones into an "automated answering service" that never picks up. :angry:

At any rate, I have been able to make a few dinners here. Tonight was the Quality Seafood brand frozen stuffed flounder from right here in NC. We have also tried the frozen stuffed salmon, but both agree not to buy that product again. I had some leftover stove top creamy mac and cheese and served this with a nice salad. My husband commented repeatedly on how pretty it was and delicious. I am certain these comments were to keep me off his tail when he did not finish his much smaller salad than mine. It worked. :laugh: 

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes (log)
  • Like 5

> ^ . . ^ <

Pork tenderloin marinaded for 24 hours with olive oil. lemon juice, garlic, chilli, crushed coriander seeds, salt and pepper. Stir fried.

Roast red bell peppers, tomatoes and mushrooms.

Minted couscous.

IMG_0574.jpg

Followed by papaya and mango. I had planned to serve this (to myself) with cream or yoghurt, but in the end the fruit was so perfect, I had it naked. The fruit. Not me!

IMG_0557.jpg

• Like 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

image.jpeg

Panfried rainbow trout fillets with a side of homemade coleslaw using a cooked dressing. The trout was fabulous the coleslaw  not so much. I was trying to re-create the coleslaw I remember from many years back which would keep for many days in the refrigerator. This one however was far too sweet.  Back to the drawing board.

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

As the weather starts to warm up, I am experimenting with pre-dinner cocktails on Saturdays.  Yesterday I made blueberry margaritas. Overall tasty but ultimately too sweet for my liking.  I only drank a quarter of mine before getting bored.

blueberry margarita.jpg

Dinner was just burgers.  I made beef for most people, but also made the Serious Eats black bean burger recipe:

black bean burger.jpg

This recipe calls for roasting the beans before making the burgers.  I really liked the resulting texture.  Sometimes bean burgers are too mushy, but not this one.

• Like 11

Temperatures plummetted this Pentecost long weekend. I made a cheat cassoulet with tinned duck confit.

4WczT5O.jpg

pGD0FgV.jpg

The legs are big

58Xydds.jpg

Lurking in there are beet greens and leeks.

eRCGVog.jpg

• Like 13