• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 4)

BonVivant

1 hour ago, liamsaunt said:

@huiray, I spend a good amount of time on Cape Cod, and those clams are sometimes available in the fish market I like out there. I also find lots of their shells on the beach.  The fishmonger told me that most of them are exported to Asia, they are not really popular here because of their bloody appearance.  I have not bought any yet because I always go to the market with my sister and she is squicked out by their appearance.  How is their flavor as compared to, say, littlenecks?

@liamsaunt, they taste somewhat more "clammy" with an "iron-y"/mineral-y edge to them. Appropriate to their containing hemoglobin. For some people the taste might be a little too "strong" or fall into the category of "challenging".  I urge you to pick some up next time from that fishmonger you talked about, notwithstanding the protestations of your sister, and try them out for yourself. Well, what I can also say is that they are consumed readily by vast swaths of the population in E and SE Asia, and are an integral and essential component in many dishes too, meaning the dishes as executed in E/SE Asia (and not the Americanized versions).  :-) 

ETA: Perhaps one might also approach the issue of their "bloodiness" by reminding folks that rare steak also oozes BLOOD in all its RED GLORY. Yet folks greedily consume that bloody item – so, regard these blood clams in the same frame of mind.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

The other night I bought some crabmeat to try and replicate a crab linguini recipe I had at a restaurant.  Supposedly it was fresh Maryland crabmeat.  Supposedly.

Have a look here.

Also, on CH there are several old threads which talk about Chinese-origin or Texas-origin crab meat being substituted by many supposedly-reputable sellers that advertised them as "Fresh Maryland Blue Crab Meat", even when it was out of season. Including restaurants offering "Maryland Crab Cakes".

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 2

Last night a weird amalgam....  spicy Mexican rice, scrambled eggs and a salad.  Just what I wanted.

• Like 6

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

@mm84321

Beautiful.  Inspirational. So glad you are posting again. 

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Breakfast for dinner: scrambled eggs, country ham, pear preserves, and a roll (had a few extra when I made up rolls for tomorrow's dinner). All started because I had thawed a package of country ham in honor of Derby Day. The rest just sort of grew out of that.

bkfast for dinner.JPG

• Like 8

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

10 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Yeah, no.  This crabmeat was SO fishy!  Totally inedible and ruined my dinner.  I had to throw it out and make everyone omelets.  I am going to the store where I bought it and asking for my money back this morning.  The other food markets offer double your money back if you buy fish or meat that is off, so I will be interested to see how this market responds to my request (WEGMAN'S ). I don't want double my money back, but I spent $50 for this crappy crab, so I would at least like some recompense.

I'd really like to know how this worked out. Wegman's has such a reputation as 'customer friendly'. I always wonder how true it is.

• Like 1

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

14 minutes ago, mm84321 said:

Thank you, that really is so kind to say. Glad I am back to cooking and posting, myself! :)

Are you still chef for the same patron?  Yours are some of the more interesting meals on eGullet, even if they are beyond the talent and means of some of us.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Oysters, nothing but glorious local Sydney rock oysters, from the flats less than 10km away.

Two dozen, for me. :)

I've never personally subscribed to the idea that oysters are an aphrodisiac; the only thing oysters put me in the mood for is...more oysters.

image.jpg

• Like 14

12 hours ago, BonVivant said:

My third BBQ on this gorgeous sunny day in this normally sun deprived part of the world.

0c0uyYH.jpg

@BonVivant, you are usually so good about telling us at least the components of your delicious looking meals. This one looks like razor clams, the fattest white asparagus I have ever seen, some kind of skewered huge shrimp or prawns and side dish of some kind of green herb with a nice white wine.

Would you care to provide a few more details to a fellow eGulleter with a broken dishwasher and homicidal impulses toward her evil landlords? :)

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

I bought these squid this morning and all day have gone through various permutations of what I was going to do with them. In the end, I kept it simple,

IMG_0315.jpg

Cleaned squid and cut body into rings. Tentacles in there, too.

Finely chopped ginger, garlic and bird's eye chili. Toasted and ground Sichuan peppercorns. Briefly stir fried until just cooked. Added Chinese chives and chopped coriander leaf/cilantro. Served with Shanghai bok choy dressed with oyster sauce. And rice.

Apologies for slapdash presentation. I was hungry!

Edited by liuzhou
clarification (log)
  • Like 11

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Pan-fried halibut. Sautéed morels & young garlic & shallots, w/ spinach and tossed w/ fedelini.

DSCN9153a_600.jpg

The halibut (2 pieces, about a pound total) [from Caplinger's], patted dry, was simply sprinkled w/ sea salt & ground black pepper then pan-fried w/ EV olive oil [California Olive Ranch]. Sliced young garlic (see below) & sliced shallots were sautéed in the pan fond & remaining oil, morels [last batch picked up from IWFM] added & tossed around; then fresh spinach [Nading Farm] added and just barely wilted in before adding fedelini [De Cecco] straight from the pot it was cooked in. Everything was stirred in, and drizzled with a little Arbequina EV olive oil [California Olive Ranch] and served with the halibut.

(The second piece of halibut was devoured as well. :-) )

On the way there:

DSCN9151a_400.jpg

The young garlic used above were two heads from those below [from East Asia Market] trimmed of roots & most of the upper parts.

DSCN9139b_600.jpg

• Like 15

Lamb is probably my favourite meat and we are lucky in having a farm shop very close to home where the meat is local and the lamb in whatever form is wonderful.

Tonight will be souris d'agneau as detailed by Chef Simon: http://chefsimon.lemonde.fr/gourmets/chef-simon/recettes/souris-d-agneau-confites-a-l-ail

image.jpeg

Just in in the oven, cooking is 2h30.  Jersey Royal potatoes also from the farm shop (but guessing not that local) to go with the lamb.  Jersey Royals seem to be at their peak in flavour just now, the season is short so plan to make the most of it.

• Like 11

22 hours ago, huiray said:

@huiray, thanks for the info on the blood clams.  I am going out to Wellfleet in two weeks and will check to see if they have any for sale.

13 hours ago, ElainaA said:

I'd really like to know how this worked out. Wegman's has such a reputation as 'customer friendly'. I always wonder how true it is.

They gave me a refund on a gift card, no questions asked.  

The rain let up enough that I was able to grill yesterday.  I grilled some pita bread, and some chicken, and some steaks.  I only got a picture of the steaks

steak.jpg

I also made a greek salad, and a quinoa salad with chickpeas and spinach

quinoa 2.jpg

• Like 12

5 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

@BonVivant, you are usually so good about telling us at least the components of your delicious looking meals. This one looks like razor clams, the fattest white asparagus I have ever seen, some kind of skewered huge shrimp or prawns and side dish of some kind of green herb with a nice white wine.

Would you care to provide a few more details to a fellow eGulleter with a broken dishwasher and homicidal impulses toward her evil landlords? :)

Yes, you are correct I usually do tell something about the meal. :)

The razors are small and sweet. The asparagus come in several sizes but I prefer big ones due to ease of peeling. Prawns are red and come from either Argentina or Chile. I pounded some fresh turmeric, capers and garlic then mixed it all with olive oil. Brushed this oil on everything on the grill, save for the clams (due to laziness yesterday). The green stuff was minced parsley. Not sure if I was going to use it but put it there just in case. I used it today at lunch as a sauce for steamed razors.

Hope your dishwasher get fixed soon!

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 2

Supper was stir fried rice with mushrooms, scallions, roasted onion, double garlic (sliced,sautéed + mashed,fried). peas, chopped peanuts and chilli. With roasted pak choi.

20160507_204522.jpg

• Like 5

~ Shai N.

On 5/6/2016 at 5:25 PM, gfweb said:

Maple-brown butter-glazed scallops, fried polenta, braised sprouts

009.jpg

like the Char..did you dust them ?  They look to have little extensions?

• Like 1

Its good to have Morels

Thanks, PB!

No dusting. Should have though.  I see what you are talking about. Dunno.

Perhaps the tsp of maple syrup at the last moment did a little, but they were pretty well-charred in just the butter.

• Like 1

Just roasted some chicken drumsticks and made au gratin potatoes to eat for lunches the next few days.  Dinner is a mash up gravy of puttanesca and bologanese - the olives, capers and anchovy from the puttanesca and the milk from the bologanese - made with ground bison, rag noodles and some garlic bread with a green salad.

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

On May 6, 2016 at 6:25 PM, gfweb said:

Maple-brown butter-glazed scallops, fried polenta, braised sprouts

009.jpg

That is a gorgeous plate of food.  All my favorite things.  Scallops look wonderful

• Like 1

Did a reverse sear..  Burgers for  (My Baby)   Mothers Day

This is home ground chuck, trimmed and ground #10 grind.( large cell ) --  sorry medical chat

This was cooked 250 about 45 mins to 125F  __  no center lift here

Seared on Plancha..  salt pepper  only

26296656543_f672364a2a_k.jpg

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 11

Its good to have Morels